Cyclist hit by car in Cambridge - video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut

Origamist

Legendary Member
Having hi viz could have helped, by 'catching the eye' of the driver, so to speak. Or giving the driver a better chance to have spotted the cyclist a bit earlier. Let's also not forget the difference between this.

View attachment 126351

and this.

View attachment 126352

Yes, lets not forget that the Stop sign is for US road users and the Give Way sign for British road users.

Driver at fault, cyclist blameless.

classic33

Leg End Member
2:37 this morning, walking the dog, I was passed by a cyclist on his way home.
Hi-Vis top, Hi-Vis vest & rucksack cover. As usual.
First aware he was near, because he could be heard, but not seen. Trees blocking the view of the road he was was coming down. Gets to the bottom of the hill, first thing noticed is the light, then the shape above it. Just a dark shape as he passes one of the street lights. And the noisy gear change once through the roadworks. The Hi-Vis is lost in what light there is.
I could argue I was expecting him, but he comes up that stretch of road anytime from half one onwards.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Clothing choice makes no difference. I was hit wearing bright red top, red/white helmet, bright red bike and panniers, in daylight, with two Hope 1's on, and a 1200 lumen C&B Seen City Slicker on pulse - like exposure lights. Even with my lights lighting up the car, in daylight, he still didn't see me.

Makes no difference if a driver does not look properly, and it happens far too often.

Tim Hall

Having hi viz could have helped, by 'catching the eye' of the driver, so to speak. Or giving the driver a better chance to have spotted the cyclist a bit earlier. Let's also not forget the difference between this.

View attachment 126351

and this.

View attachment 126352

Does Give Way mean (a) floor it and hope there's nothing in the way, or (b) You MUST give way to traffic on the main road when emerging from a junction with broken white lines across the road?

Top Bottom