Cyclist hits car - or car hits cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
From our local rag's web page:

"A cyclist was injured during a collision with a car.
A 59-year-old man was crossing the roundabout joining the Silk Road and Bollington Road in Macclesfield when he collided with a black Mercedes at 8am this morning (Wednesday, September 14)."

The way this has been written makes it seem like the cyclist rode into the car. I have no idea what happened but I do wonder if the way language is used sometimes creates a false impression of events.

D

Deleted member 26715

to what aim?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
They did it yesterday on Radio Scotland when they interviewed someone from the Cyclists' Defence Fund regarding the private prosecution against Michael Mason's killer. The presenter stated "Cyclist Michael Mason collided with the car in Regent St", neatly distorting the true picture which was that the driver, Gail Purcell, drove straight into the back of Mr Mason.

You can hear it here, from 41m30s : http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07syltw

GC

sheddy

Legendary Member
News reports and Papers always write this way. Awful.
I guess that journalists have been trained do this, possibly some kind of litigation limitation?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
From our local rag's web page:

"A cyclist was injured during a collision with a car.
A 59-year-old man was crossing the roundabout joining the Silk Road and Bollington Road in Macclesfield when he collided with a black Mercedes at 8am this morning (Wednesday, September 14)."

The way this has been written makes it seem like the cyclist rode into the car. I have no idea what happened but I do wonder if the way language is used sometimes creates a false impression of events.
Doesn't say who wrote it on the mobile version. The Express are in the same offices as us and I know one of the journalists quite well so could have had a word with him.

Top Bottom