Cyclist killed by truck in Rochdale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
From the BBC:

A cyclist died after being hit by a truck in Greater Manchester.

The 28-year-old man was riding along Dane Street in Rochdale when he was stuck by a DAF CF truck turning left into Norman Road at about 15:55 BST on Monday.

He was taken to Wythenshawe Hospital, where he died.

Police said an investigation was under way to establish what happened before the collision, and officers are appealing for witnesses.

GC

numbnuts

Legendary Member
This is happeing nearly every other day – take care guys
Condolences to family and friends RIP

Sorry, and with no disrespect to the person involved in this tragic incident, but arn't trucks allowed to left then?
Only if they bother to look if anything is where they are turning. Although we don't know whether the driver did or didn't do this.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Only if they bother to look if anything is where they are turning. Although we don't know whether the driver did or didn't do this.

There is 2 sides to this here, they are both serious and both valid.

I used to drive trucks for a living and unless you have sat in the drivers seat of a truck, you have no idea what they CANNOT see. It is a design fault that has been overcome in recent years by all sorts of Electronics gizmos which can be and should be fitted to all trucks.

The driver is well aware of what he cant see and will make every possible attempt to see whats alongside him. Doing this is a natural reaction, it becomes an automatically response, not a choice. It is impracticle for the driver to get out of the cab at every left turn to check the Inside.

As for cyclists. Wherever possible they should keep away from the Inside of lorries at junctions. We all know this problem exists and we should do everything we can to protect ourselves.

We may have a "Right" to be on a particular patch of road. But if it is going to get us killed, I would rather forgo that "Right".

We have exactly the same problem with right turns in Denmark. It is an easily, solvable problem if our governments take action.

Steve

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I attended a site yesterday to assess damage caused by a left turning HGV to a lamp-post, the lamp-post was on the pavement, next to a pedestrian crossing. It could've been much worse. Not that I'm criticising all HGV drivers, but this one was on his mobile at the time.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Always sad to hear and in many cases avoidable.
Why did they take the guy to Wythenshawe though. Rochdale is miles away in North Manchester, Oldham is only about 5 or 6 miles away and has an A and E department.

Top Bottom