cyclist killed in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
It is true that some of the crossings in my area don't have barriers but they are lines that are disused,

All the ones that have any noticeable traffic are 'barriered' and have warning lights.

When driving through France I can't recall ever encountering a crossing that made me think, hang on shouldn't there be a barrier!

But yes, being careful is always good advice.

Crankarm

Guru
Yeah but trains tend to be big noisy things that are run on rails so you know where they are going and when they are coming. They are not going to suddenly swerve into you. To get hit by one you have to be a bit dense, reckless or wanting to be hit ……….. Rider could have been hard of hearing I suppose so sorry for being blunt if they were as this would seriously reduce your chances of anticipating one coming if crossing.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Yeah but trains tend to be big noisy things that are run on rails so you know where they are going and when they are coming. They are not going to suddenly swerve into you. To get hit by one you have to be a bit dense, reckless or wanting to be hit ……….. Rider could have been hard of hearing I suppose so sorry for being blunt if they were as this would seriously reduce your chances of anticipating one coming if crossing.

I've been surprised by how quiet a train can be at a crossing. Look, listen and look again. Both ways.

GC

OP
OP
s7ephanie

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
It is true that some of the crossings in my area don't have barriers but they are lines that are disused,

All the ones that have any noticeable traffic are 'barriered' and have warning lights.

When driving through France I can't recall ever encountering a crossing that made me think, hang on shouldn't there be a barrier!

But yes, being careful is always good advice.
You haven't been my way then, the one up the road hasn't got a barrier, mind you i have only noticed about 3 trains a week !!!

buggi

Bird Saviour
That is not necessarily true. i remember standing at a station that had four lines, two for normal passenger trains and then two between them for high speed trains to pass through. I looked down the line for my train, didn't see it, looked the other way for only a few seconds and then looked back only to get hit (metaphorically) by the sight of one of the high speed trains coming through. took me totally by surprise as i could see far down the track when i looked, and i didn't see or hear it coming, and i felt like i was being sucked off the platform. Even if the fire & rescue services are working on track, they send someone up or downline with a warning horn so they can warn their crew mates.

looking at this quote "French TGVs travel at speeds of up to 200mph, making security a constant headache for the authorities" makes me wonder just how dangerous the HS2 will be and whether this has been a consideration.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-MILES-accident-took-place.html#ixzz2wKv5PUnX
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Top Bottom