Cyclist Slams Into Stone Wall...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Interesting factoid. The NHS estimates it spends more on treating such sporting injuries than the victims actually raise for charity.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I don't remember doing Tan Hill on the C2C, we must have taken a slightly different route, But quite a bit of the Pennine hilliness I remember making my legs hurt (the uphills) or my hands hurt (death grip on the brakes!).

My OH nearly came off on the descent from Tan Hill - rim went and tyre burst, but luckily he remained upright rather than somersaulting into a ditch or stone wall!

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Interesting factoid. The NHS estimates it spends more on treating such sporting injuries than the victims actually raise for charity.
Well looks like he isnt giving up

"and the state of the helmet - well, if that had been my head, I wouldn’t be here. I’m thinking about doing some campaiging on helmet safety actually now I’ve seen first-hand now how important it is.”"

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I don't remember doing Tan Hill on the C2C, we must have taken a slightly different route, But quite a bit of the Pennine hilliness I remember making my legs hurt (the uphills) or my hands hurt (death grip on the brakes!).

My OH nearly came off on the descent from Tan Hill - rim went and tyre burst, but luckily he remained upright rather than somersaulting into a ditch or stone wall!

The injured cyclist was doing Walney to Wear, which is a coast to coast ride, but not what most people describe as the C2C, which is probably the one you did.

Walney to Wear, often called W2W, tracks a bit further south and is reckoned to be harder than the C2C.

http://cyclingw2w.info/

I certainly believe this!

For me;
Broken Toe x2
Dislocated fingers x4
Broken knuckles x4
Head Cuts x2
Broken arm needing Plates
Ruptured Ligaments

All sporting injuries, I can't remember getting treatment for anything else from the NHS.

What is the conundrum though, is if the NHS spend so much money on sporting injuries, why are so many people overweight? :biggrin:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
What is the conundrum though, is if the NHS spend so much money on sporting injuries, why are so many people overweight? :biggrin:

I reckon we're entitled to get sporting injuries treated - most of us won't be getting treatment for diabetes/heart disease! (or at least, not as soon in life as the couch potatoes!)

Drago

Legendary Member
Perhaps it'd be cheaper and easier for the NHS to sponsor people not to do these events?

I'm am, of course, not one jot against sporting injuries being treated. Nevertheless, it does raise an interesting conundrum when sponsored sporting events end up costing the nation more money than the charities receive from these endeavours.

In the article he says "“I came over the top of the brow, didn’t realise it was an ‘S’ bend and judged it wrong."
The clues were perhaps in:
- a 'steep hill down' warning sign, accompanied by 'SLOW' on the road, quite a long way back from the first bend, on which he crashed
- a 'zig-zag bends' warning sign, also accompanied by 'SLOW' on the road, just before the bend
- the fact that the wet, downhill road could be seen to disappear somewhere mysterious not far ahead of him, throughout the 15 seconds prior to impact.
[EDIT] - not to mention the chevrons near where he hit the wall !
[Another EDIT] - and there's a yellow salt bin on the right, which is a dead giveaway for 'steep bit coming'

He could have saved an awful lot of expenditure, pain and hassle by simply reading the road and the road signs, both of which could have had 'life-saving potential'.

Last edited:

L Q

Über Member
Is that video sped up as it appears he is going at some speed in the wet and down hill.

I would be doing half of that speed in the wet just hoping not to lose control.

Top Bottom