Cyclist v Tipper Lorry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
RIP
I've been a club cyclist for 25 years and have had very few near misses. However, for a 1 year period I was commuting through Norwich City Centre daily (hardly an urban jungle) but there I was nearly getting killed at least one per week. Commuting by bike is much more dangerous than recreational cycling as the roads used (i.e. busy city streets) and the time of day that they are used (i.e. rush hour with lots of annoyed motorists to/from work) make it very dangerous.

RIP
I've been a club cyclist for 25 years and have had very few near misses. However, for a 1 year period I was commuting through Norwich City Centre daily (hardly an urban jungle) but there I was nearly getting killed at least one per week. Commuting by bike is much more dangerous than recreational cycling as the roads used (i.e. busy city streets) and the time of day that they are used (i.e. rush hour with lots of annoyed motorists to/from work) make it very dangerous.

I had a similar 'debate' a few years back with a commuter from London, on this forum. I was of the same opinion as you until the other poster pointed out that where I cycle recreationally - the Mendip Hills - the traffic is so much faster than it is in London and in the end I agreed with him. A few roads near here, rural as they are, are so fast that there'd be no getting back up again.

But, given what appears to be an increase (?) in commuter/cyclist deaths attributed to HGVs in the city of London, I'm wondering what commuters in big cities feel at the moment other than the obvious fact that it seems to be getting more and more dangerous, slower traffic or not? I'll say what I said to that poster - and I wish I remember the name - that I take my hat off to you city commuters; take care out there and pass on your experience whenever you can.

And RIP, poor woman.

Top Bottom