Cyclists Beware: The cancer is spreading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It might be slightly victim blaming but if a cheap-to-apply sticker prevents a few silly cyclists from putting themselves in a dangerous position then it's worth it. And I think more cyclists than you give credit for do see these signs and act more cautiously/assertively even if they still choose to filter on the left. You can almost see the brain ticking with a certain 'type' of cyclist when they see these signs, they consider why such a sign is on the back of the vehicle before deciding to make the move or not.

Yes the majority of cyclists on these forums are probably reasonably safe and sensible but there are plenty of newbie/naive/dumb/downright dangerous and reckless cyclists who will willingly undertake a lorry indicating left 5-10 metres before a junction (ditto filtering on the left of buses which are already indicating left just before a bus stop). If it makes at least a few of them consider why it might be a bad move then it's a good thing imo. It's not excluding the possibility that we should be making efforts to improve visibility in lorry cabs etc.

Buddfox

Veteran
It might be slightly victim blaming but if a cheap-to-apply sticker prevents a few silly cyclists from putting themselves in a dangerous position then it's worth it. And I think more cyclists than you give credit for do see these signs and act more cautiously/assertively even if they still choose to filter on the left. You can almost see the brain ticking with a certain 'type' of cyclist when they see these signs, they consider why such a sign is on the back of the vehicle before deciding to make the move or not.

Yes the majority of cyclists on these forums are probably reasonably safe and sensible but there are plenty of newbie/naive/dumb/downright dangerous and reckless cyclists who will willingly undertake a lorry indicating left 5-10 metres before a junction (ditto filtering on the left of buses which are already indicating left just before a bus stop). If it makes at least a few of them consider why it might be a bad move then it's a good thing imo. It's not excluding the possibility that we should be making efforts to improve visibility in lorry cabs etc.

I don't think cost is the issue. A sticker which says "Cyclists stay back" or "Cyclists do not pass this vehicle on the inside" costs the same as a sticker which says "Cyclists, take care when passing this vehicle". It's the imperative and the implied "...because I couldn't give a monkeys about your safety" of the first two that are so irritating.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4502174, member: 9609"]It would be good if the signs could be there without the driver of the lorry knowing - I think the great danger of these signs is the driver falling under some impression that his responsibilities to this area is reduced, i'm sure the defence of 'the cyclist disobeyed the sign' will be rearing its ugly head at some point (it probably already has)[/QUOTE]
I think the great danger of these signs is the perpetuation of the pernicious myth that cyclists overtaking on the left is responsible for more deaths than lorryists left-hooking or simply stopping too close behind and forgetting that there's a cyclist in front of them when the lights change.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
On my way to work today, I saw a vehicle transporter loaded with shiny new unregistered VW Caddy (ie not that big) vans. What I found curious was that these vans were resplendent in the livery of their new owner, British Gas. Complete with 'Cyclist beware' sign designed into the vinyl decals on the back doors. What?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
On my way to work today, I saw a vehicle transporter loaded with shiny new unregistered VW Caddy (ie not that big) vans. What I found curious was that these vans were resplendent in the livery of their new owner, British Gas. Complete with 'Cyclist beware' sign designed into the vinyl decals on the back doors. What?
It's the latest fashionable bit of nonsense for Health and Safety managers who aren't thinking straight. It's about as meaningful as the requirement to install no smoking signs in company cars or the labels on some (particularly American) bikes that instruct you to wear a helmet.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
It's the latest fashionable bit of nonsense for Health and Safety managers who aren't thinking straight. It's about as meaningful as the requirement to install no smoking signs in company cars or the labels on some (particularly American) bikes that instruct you to wear a helmet.
Elf n safety gawn maaad!

(Sorry, @User...)

The bit about having a no smoking sign in company vehicles is in fact a legal requirement, if more than 1 person might use it.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
It does amaze me people on here are willing to argue the toss about "common sense" stuff, almost like they have nothing better to do, perhaps they would be happier with an economy and modern life based on carrying stuff about with a horse and cart.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
It does amaze me people on here are willing to argue the toss about "common sense" stuff, almost like they have nothing better to do, perhaps they would be happier with an economy and modern life based on carrying stuff about with a horse and cart.
Common sense does indeed suggest that a cyclist take care round a larger vehicle. It also suggests that operators of road vehicles make proper observations when manoeuvring. It further suggests that if the design of a vehicle makes this difficult or impossible, then either operators need extra training, or the vehicle's design needs to change. A slogan on the back (of a brand new vehicle, remember) suggests neither of these is going to happen.

Top Bottom