England : North Yorkshire Dales ride from Gargrave - DATE CHANGE Wednesday, 17th August, 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@Effyb4 and her husband are taking their bikes to the Yorkshire Dales for a holiday and I have plotted a few cycle routes for them. I am going to ride over there on Monday Wednesday and do one of those rides with them. It is 59 km (37 miles) in length, starting and finishing in Gargrave, round to Airton, Burnsall and Appletreewick, on to Cavendish Pavilion where we will stop at the cafe for a while, and then we will return via Halton East, Embsay and Hetton.

They should be arriving in Gargrave at 12:01 on the train from Clapham. I have said that I will meet them at the station if I get there before 12:00, or at The Dalesman cafe in Gargrave at 12:15 if I am delayed for some reason.

We will ride at an easy pace. Their train back is at 17:30 so we need to aim to be back by (say) 17:15 at the latest, and that implies riding at an average of about 12 kph (7.5 mph) including stops. Obviously we would have to ride a bit faster than that to allow for any stops, but I would expect the moving average to be sub-16 kph (10 mph).

The terrain is lumpy but I have avoided taking us over any extreme Dales climbs.

I meant to start this thread sooner but forgot - sorry! If you fancy joining us, can get Monday Wednesday off, and can do that kind of speed on lumpy roads then you would be welcome to join us - post below to let us know that you will be coming.

Last edited:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
@ColinJ , I really wish you had given more notice, that ride is right up my street, would love to accompany you but short notice means I will have to sit this one out. That should be a lovely ride in some stunning countryside for anyone that is able to make it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@ColinJ , I really wish you had given more notice, that ride is right up my street, would love to accompany you but short notice means I will have to sit this one out. That should be a lovely ride in some stunning countryside for anyone that is able to make it.
I feel really guilty now! :blush:

There is a chance that Effy would be ok delaying the ride by a day or two if that meant more of us could ride. Could you make the Tuesday or Wednesday if Effy agrees? I can do Monday, Tuesday OR Wednesday.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I was doing 50+ hour weeks when I was your age! :laugh:
I had my summer holiday in the Dales once ... AT THE END OF OCTOBER!

I was so busy at work that I couldn't get the time off in June as planned. It got put back to July. Then August. Then September. Then the start of October. Then the end of October.

My girlfriend was not impressed. Especially when we opened the curtains of our caravan and discovered that we were snowed in! :whistle:

Effyb4

Veteran
We could do it on the Wednesday, if more people are able to make this day. Unfortunately we are already booked up to do something on the Tuesday.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A Colin ride that is neither ludicrously long or ridiculously hilly?

Never thought I'd see the day.

Such an occasion ought to be marked by my attendance which I could manage on Wednesday, although please don't move it just on my account.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Include me in, please.

I shall be in the caravan for a few days, so the ride will make an agreeable car/bike day trip.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Effy should be there on her hols now. I don't think she is online where she is staying and I don't have a phone number for her so I will assume that she will be turning up with her husband as planned. (She has my number, so she could contact me if she needed to.)

The forecast is looking very pleasant for Wednesday. If anybody will be in the area and free for a ride that day, you'd be welcome to join us.

I was about to say: can you send me a gpx of the route from Gargrave if it's not too much hassle. I have not decided *not* to do it as yet. I'll see how my legs feel in the morning and what time I wake up re getting to Gargrave on time. If I turn up, I'll certainly be taking it rather easy ;-)

Top Bottom