Darryl Impey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The South African champion and Orica-GreenEdge rider has tested positive (A and B samples) for probenecid, a gout medication that is used as a masking agent for steroids. This is the important bit - means that Impey, who does not have gout or any related condition, has most likely been taking steroids, even though he is making all the usual noises about having no knowledge of how it got into his system. But unlike some steroids themsevels, there are no real acccidental pathways to having probenecid in your system. Remember that Pedro Delgardo also tested positive for probenecid but it wasn't on the banned list for pro-cycling then, so he got away with it. Masking agent tests are definitely the way to go.

PS: Not surprisingly the Cyclingnews comment response has been rather low key, which I am sure has nothing to do with him being a member of an Australian team...

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
*sigh*

There's an Armstrong Documentary on UK TV on Friday, 9pm - just need to remember which channel.

Found it

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-armstrong-lie

Monday 9pm, C4

Probenecid though. Who the hell would use a masking agent, on the banned and easily detectable list. We also don't know the quantities, a lot would be definite masking use, a little, not. Not that it matters. If he took it as part of another medicine and didn't have a TUE, then he's had it. If he took it as a masking agent, he's a fool.

oldroadman

Veteran
What is odd is that it was an in-competition test. No-one with half a brain would use anything so easily detected when a test was possible at a race. Which leaves a conclusion that either he's been staggeringly daft, or really has taken the stuff (or been given it) without his knowledge. Either way it's not looking great with A and B samples confirmed. The assumption that it masks steroids is jumping to conclusions. Nobody would bother with them either, too easily found. Easiest solution is simply to ride clean, take anything that's legal and allowed, have a TUE when you need it for medical reasons, and then never worry. It's a good feeling to pee in a sample bottle knowing that you are OK.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Which leaves a conclusion that either he's been staggeringly daft, or really has taken the stuff (or been given it) without his knowledge.

As many athletes have already discovered if they didn't know already, taking anything from a coach or doctor without knowing what it is, is no excuse...

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
South African Daryl Impey is free to return to racing with Orica-GreenEdge after a doping positive for banned drug Probenecid that forced him to miss the Tour de France.
At a hearing yesterday in Johannesburg, a pharmacist took the blame for contaminating empty gelatine capsules that Impey bought.
“I’m thrilled to have been given the notification that I’m 100 per cent OK to race again and no sanction whatsoever will be applied,” Impey said. “I was confident in my defence and I’m thankful that I was given the chance clear my name beyond any type of doubt.
“It’s been a tough period to get through, but I’d like to thank my team for giving me the possibility to focus solely on getting this process done properly.”
Impey is set to return in the Canadian one-day races in Quebec and Montreal on September 12 and 14.
He became the first African to wear the Tour de France’s yellow jersey in 2013 but lost his chance to return on the eve of the 2014 race when South Africa released results of an earlier anti-doping test. He tested positive, both the A and B samples, for Probenecid after the national championships on February 6, 2014.
The diuretic may also be used as a masking agent. 1988 Tour de France winner, Spain’s Pedro Delgado returned a positive for Probenecid but was later cleared and kept his title.
Impey was cleared because he and his lawyers were able to show the positive was due to contaminated gelatine capsules he bought from a pharmacy in Durban in the country’s east. A report in The Star newspaper explained the pharmacist gave Probenecid to another customer and he had contaminated hands when he prepared Impey’s capsules. At the hearing, register receipts showed the times of the purchases.
Impey’s capsules were for bicarbonate of soda, to help against the effects of lactic acid in the national championships.
“It’s just utter, utter relief that justice has been done,” Impey told the newspaper. “Everything that has happened, all the bad publicity, all the mud that has been thrown at my name, it’s never going to be rectified, but I knew I hadn’t doped and would never dope.
“The amount of money I have lost is hard to quantify. It’s a huge loss of income. There have been massive repercussions for my family and me. My name has been dragged through the mud. We’ll think about things like what other action to take later. I want to get back to do my job.”

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Impey was cleared because he and his lawyers were able to show the positive was due to contaminated gelatine capsules he bought from a pharmacy in Durban in the country’s east. A report in The Star newspaper explained the pharmacist gave Probenecid to another customer and he had contaminated hands when he prepared Impey’s capsules. At the hearing, register receipts showed the times of the purchases.
Would such miniscule amounts that would be on each gel capsule show up on a drugs test? That sounds a bit far fetched to me but I know nothing about the way pharmacy protocol works.
I am happy to be enlightened if someone knows more about these things.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I guess he should sue the pharmacist for not washing his hands between prescriptions. Unless he is grateful for the help he got from them?

Tests can be very sensitive, last year I failed a drugs test 12 hours after taking 1 single cocodamol, urine sample showed "opiates". Got it cleared up though.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
''Hi, is that the chemists? Can you arrange a pre-contamination alibi for some diuretics for me? You could simply ring up some diuretics on the till and 'forget' to wash your hands, couldn't you.... Yes, I'll pay cash, no paper trail. See you in an hour.'' It's too easy for me to believe in his innocence. Pharmacist pharmassistance.

Top Bottom