Death Statistics 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
death.jpeg
This classic's always good for a giggle....

Edit: Ooops, I'll try and find a bigger version.

Although the risk of death or serious injury is low, it's a concern that the rate is increasing. Gut feeling is that the cycling "boom" is among riders who aren't taking as much care on the roads as those that were cycling before the boom. Hopefully the stats will start to decrease again over time.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Although the risk of death or serious injury is low, it's a concern that the rate is increasing. Gut feeling is that the cycling "boom" is among riders who aren't taking as much care on the roads as those that were cycling before the boom. Hopefully the stats will start to decrease again over time.
With the uptake in helmet use, it's bound to......

........:popcorn:

Although the risk of death or serious injury is low, it's a concern that the rate is increasing.

The rate isn't increasing. You need to assess risk per mile, otherwise stupid people would think more people die cycling in Amsterdam so it must be more dangerous to cycle in Amsterdam.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...

How does anyone know that the rate is increasing and we're not just seeing a statistical blip or a dodgy denominator?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The rate isn't increasing. You need to assess risk per mile, otherwise stupid people would think more people die cycling in Amsterdam so it must be more dangerous to cycle in Amsterdam.
As a matter of general interest, who exactly synthesises the miles travelled stuff? I can see that it's quite easy for motorised travel because DVLA will have mileage figures from MOT certificates (but not illegal ones), but where does the cyclist data come from? Nobody has ever asked me how far I ride. How do these creative statistician types weave their magic?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
As a matter of general interest, who exactly synthesises the miles travelled stuff? I can see that it's quite easy for motorised travel because DVLA will have mileage figures from MOT certificates (but not illegal ones), but where does the cyclist data come from? Nobody has ever asked me how far I ride. How do these creative statistician types weave their magic?
My memory is that for donkey's years the distances have been concocted in the same way as the miles driven for cars - by traffic-counting on main roads and making an assumption about additional uncounted miles. Spot the potential problem.....

A few years ago National Statistics spotted that the results were getting very inconsistent with the output of a survey-based methodology (we asked a couple of thousand people and they said...) and started investigating the difference - so stopped reporting the other version until they'd sorted out the difference. Which they haven't yet.

TFL use those automatic traffic counters:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/bicycle_traffic_counts

94 all over London.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My memory is that for donkey's years the distances have been concocted in the same way as the miles driven for cars - by traffic-counting on main roads and making an assumption about additional uncounted miles. Spot the potential problem.....

A few years ago National Statistics spotted that the results were getting very inconsistent with the output of a survey-based methodology (we asked a couple of thousand people and they said...) and started investigating the difference - so stopped reporting the other version until they'd sorted out the difference. Which they haven't yet.
What sort of survey based method? If you asked a few thousand cyclists to tell you how far they had ridden in the last year, the data would probably be as reliable as asking them to self-report the size of their penises. You need a ruler, actually for some firm data.:whistle:

Oh, the graph does, further down, I thought you meant the OP which just said the TOTAL KSI RATE had increased without allowing for cycling rates, beg your pardon.

Top Bottom