Decathlon: We have trouble finding parts for 1 year old bikes sometimes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upandover

Guru
After my rear mech got caught in the wheels, I spoke to my decathlon store, who were suitable vague about finding a replacement hanger for my 6 year old decathlon bike. I couldn't get there yet, so I emailed the website, with picture and details of the bike, and asked if they could help. I got this reply:

Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately, we would not have any spare parts for bikes from such a long time ago. Sometimes, we struggle to find suitable solutions/spare parts for bikes from last year, let alone 6 years ago. Hence, I do not think there is a anything that we could do for you in this case. If you believe so otherwise, please do let us know.

Friendly, but hardly confidence inspiring. Luckily my lbs managed to find it as a Raleigh part. It's more amusing than anything else, and sounds like a low paid clerical worker just being clumsy, but it seems an
astonishing thing for a bike manufacturer to say!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you look at places like SJS cycles and trawl through the gazillions of mech hangers, you may just find one that fits.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I can easily believe it - sports superstores like Decathlon are geared towards selling big quantities of cheap sporting goods, not holding an inventory of spare parts for those goods.

That said, I've always been impressed by the bike mechanics at Decathlon.

OP
OP
upandover

upandover

Guru
The store I used in Merry Hill (now Wednesbury) really impressed me, and they sell good bikes. I'm trying straightening mine tonight (I'll be in a workshop) and if not I'll order the raleigh one though the shop which helped me, which looks identical.

Drago - I don't think mine did, even if they do now. It was six years ago though :smile:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I wanted a pair of forks for my son's bike, which was still being sold as a new model; they couldn't do that either.

OP
OP
upandover

upandover

Guru
To be fair: I tweeted a section of the reply,and had a conversation with them on twitter when they responded. They think I should be able to get one in store, though the store said no on the phone. I will check. :smile:

stephec

Legendary Member
attachment.php?attachmentid=125865&d=1403010273.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
My son had a Triban 3 and while the frame and major components were good, the wheels and some other bits were carp so if we hadn't sold it (he outgrew it) we'd have simply upgraded the bits as we did with the wheels. It rode and handled very nicely.

D

Deleted member 1258

I do. It gets chucked into my Forbidden Box of Mystery only to to ever be seen again a day after.I needed it, couldn't find it, and bought another.

I have a bits box, I guarantee I have everything in there, apart from the part I want.

Top Bottom