Dedicated GPS or Mobile?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
roundisland
I didn't bother with GPS for years. Now I have a Garmin and my routes have definitely improved.

What are you using now and how are you finding it ?

You can get by with just some route notes and a phone to check if you get stuck. A dedicated GPS isn't essential.

planning a longish tour of 3 months early next year. currently i just stop periodically and check my way with my phone if I start to get lost. Like the idea of a gps unit and it seems popular here with the replies I have received.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have 3 months free next year commencing end of April. Planning on using the time to tour (not sure where yet) was looking to renew my phone in January so it got me thinking about combined use communication/GPS opinions seemed mixed at the moment but very helpful.

For such a length tour you will want a way of designing / changing your route each evening for the next day. This means either using navigation software on a mobile with data or using a gps that allows you to upload routes from a mobile phone. Planning every day’s route in advance for a three month tour is just too inflexible and will easily be broken by what the tour throws at you.

Helpful links thank you. seems like a gps is the way to go.

Just remember that they're not all the same, work differently and have different features.

planning a longish tour of 3 months early next year

Given that it's likely that you'll need the ability for creating routes on the fly (personally I couldn't imagine sticking to a preplanned route for that length of time^_^) that should probably be an important factor in your decision making.

Given that the world of GPS can be very complicated and advances regularly my suggestion is not to look at what is out there but to have a good think about what you need, would like and how you plan to use the device. A search on these forums will throw up a lot of discussion.

The "wrong" device for you can be very frustrating but the right one can really set you free!

OP
OP
roundisland
For such a length tour you will want a way of designing / changing your route each evening for the next day. This means either using navigation software on a mobile with data or using a gps that allows you to upload routes from a mobile phone. Planning every day’s route in advance for a three month tour is just too inflexible and will easily be broken by what the tour throws at you.
That's interesting. I expect my next question maybe, what mobile, android or apple would be the better choice to give me the ability to do as you say. I totally agree planning a detailed 3 month route is out of the question.

Jameshow

Veteran
Buy new, don't as I did dabble and buy s/h.

As the tech improves and the units themselves slow down too. Mine take ages to load even a short route from a-b.

OP
OP
roundisland
Just remember that they're not all the same, work differently and have different features.

Given that it's likely that you'll need the ability for creating routes on the fly (personally I couldn't imagine sticking to a preplanned route for that length of time^_^) that should probably be an important factor in your decision making.

Given that the world of GPS can be very complicated and advances regularly my suggestion is not to look at what is out there but to have a good think about what you need, would like and how you plan to use the device. A search on these forums will throw up a lot of discussion.

The "wrong" device for you can be very frustrating but the right one can really set you free!

The only cycling gps devices I am familiar with is Garmin. If I remember some time back they had a unit called touring gps. I will start searching the forum as suggested. I appreciate all the information thank you.

what mobile, android or apple would be the better choice
That's trickier!
My understanding is that not all apps work the same way under the two platforms but I haven't had an iPhone for years and I can't imagine the functionality being very different. The process may be, however as in where to find settings etc.

Indeed, many work differently (or at least look different) depending on whether they are being used on a computer or mobile device. RWGPS, Komoot & Strava from personal experience.

My suggestion whatever you choose is to practice and use it as you would on tour. It builds up experience and skills and builds confidence. It teaches us to plot an alternative route before that big cloud dumps a load of rain on us rather than trying to do it in the rain! ^_^

At this stage it would take a very, very strong argument to get me to switch from Android. The comfort from something being familiar is important if away on the road.

I'd imagine the more pertinent question is what route planner app is the most suitable for your needs. And that's all ahead of you! ^_^

Based on recent experiences one thing to think about whether Android or Apple is security and access to your account in the event of the loss of your phone. Away from home it can be quite challenging!

After a stolen phone Google locked me out (and still do more than 6 months later). I also lost access to various apps and other accounts, slowly reclaimed the past few months. Not meaning to scare you but if operating system is a consideration try to think of the big picture.

Good luck

PK99

Legendary Member
The choice is between:

- a fragile piece of essential tech on my handlebars
or
-a robust dedicated and much cheaper piece of tech on my bars

ummm, tough call.

Also, when touring set the Garmin so that it is not displaying and, therefore constantly redrawing, the map and battery life on a long day is not an issue.

Just to be awkward....
much cheaper piece of tech on my bars
My phone is cheaper than my GPS unit - even with a decent discount I got to buy the unit!

I can see some advantages of buying a cheap phone simply to navigate for some people or even using an old one, especially as a relatively cheap way to learn about bike navigation before going all in.

I agree with your overall point, however.

Jameshow

Veteran
The choice is between:

- a fragile piece of essential tech on my handlebars
or
-a robust dedicated and much cheaper piece of tech on my bars

ummm, tough call.

Also, when touring set the Garmin so that it is not displaying and, therefore constantly redrawing, the map and battery life on a long day is not an issue.

Which is which?! A fully functional Motorola g 20 phone is £100.

Top Bottom