Dentist couldnt get the root out............hospital for me now :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Aged 69 I have had generally good experiences with dentists.........everything has always gone smoothly.
Until today :eek:
She battled hard for 40 minutes but eventually had to admit defeat as she just couldn't get the last piece of the root out. So I have to go to a clinic for anaesthetic as they need to cut the gum to get at it.
This is not a moan** as I'm sure many on CC have had similar or worse (**well.......maybe a bit of a moan).
AND.........I had to pay £51.00 for the priviledge:wacko::wacko:
2 people have told me I deserve a large whisky..............I think I should listen to them :smile:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Oooh Ouch. Very Large whisky I should say. Hope the clinic can sort it with minimal interference.

TBH I had a lady dentist who was very good indeed but when it came to a bit of strength she was too gentle. Fillings were never pressed in well enough at times. Just wondering if your lady was challenged in the strength department.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Getting my tooth out basically required a burly bloke with a crowbar standing on my chest and a barrel full of weapons grade local anaesthetic. It's a sobering thought that despite advances in modern medicine, a lot of dentistry basically comes down to brute force and ignorance.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
It could be fused to the jawbone and Dentists are not allowed to undertake simple operations these days.

The hospital Dental staff should get it out in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

If the nerve has been extracted can't they leave the remaining piece in?

subaqua

What’s the point
the dentist i use is a slip of a lass. she has a great technique for removing teeth, its not about brute strength its about technique.

sounds like the OP had a nasty tooth issue and dentist has done the best she could.

wondering why they didn't cut n stitch at the dentists. mine would have.

stephec

Legendary Member
the dentist i use is a slip of a lass. she has a great technique for removing teeth, its not about brute strength its about technique.

sounds like the OP had a nasty tooth issue and dentist has done the best she could.

wondering why they didn't cut n stitch at the dentists. mine would have.
Same here, my dentist probably only weighs about eight stone, but she had my tooth out easily.

A bit of twisting and pulling, lots of cracking and crunching noises, and out it came.

I even got one of those stickers saying I'd been a very brave boy, it gave the checkout girl a giggle as I forgot to take it off before I went in to Tesco. :smile:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
It could be fused to the jawbone and Dentists are not allowed to undertake simple operations these days.

The hospital Dental staff should get it out in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

If the nerve has been extracted can't they leave the remaining piece in?
The nerve was remove many years ago with root canal...........that was 'orrible.
She said if it was a small piece she could leave it in. She took an Xray to check and its her opinion that it should come out.......sadly I feel I have to go with her opinion:ohmy:.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Aged 69 I have had generally good experiences with dentists.........everything has always gone smoothly.
Until today :eek:
She battled hard for 40 minutes but eventually had to admit defeat as she just couldn't get the last piece of the root out. So I have to go to a clinic for anaesthetic as they need to cut the gum to get at it.
This is not a moan** as I'm sure many on CC have had similar or worse (**well.......maybe a bit of a moan).
AND.........I had to pay £51.00 for the priviledge:wacko::wacko:
2 people have told me I deserve a large whisky..............I think I should listen to them :smile:
Oh dear, not what I want to read ... I have generally had awful experiences with dentists and have two broken teeth urgently in need of attention!

Good luck with yours, Dave.

TBH I had a lady dentist who was very good indeed but when it came to a bit of strength she was too gentle. Fillings were never pressed in well enough at times. Just wondering if your lady was challenged in the strength department.
A friend of mine had a very large tooth pulled by a very small woman dentist who was definitely lacking the required strength. The dentist admitted after 20 minutes of trauma-inducing tugging that she was really struggling. She said it might be better to make an appointment with one of the male dentists at the practice. My friend had been suffering agonising toothache even before the procedure had started so there was no way she was going to agree to just give up halfway through the extraction! It took another 15 minutes to get the tooth out ... My friend fainted as we left the surgery. I caught her and carried her to a bench seat to recover. Not the ideal thing for a dentist-phobic person to witness! :eek:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
my bottom has just started to quibble

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Last time I had a tooth out I collapsed on the dentist's chair trying to get up after. He was bloody useless but his lovely assistant did the necessary revival stuff.
I did too, which is why I have been putting it off this time ... I had warned the dentist in advance that I have a history of fainting but when I came round he and the assistant were still in headless chicken mode!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I did too, which is why I have been putting it off this time ... I had warned the dentist in advance that I have a history of fainting but when I came round he and the assistant were still in headless chicken mode!
All you can do is provide the warning when the necessary becomes imperative. I had a vague idea I may be a bit wobbly so took Mrs 26 along. She got more that she bargained for as did the Dentist.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My last extraction was wisdom teeth, it took me a whole day to work out that my cheek had been stitched to my gum in the process resulting in a trip back in. I was not a huge fan of dentists beforehand. Still at least the physical pain has gone.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
! It took another 15 minutes to get the tooth out ... My friend fainted as we left the surgery. I caught her and carried her to a bench seat to recover. Not the ideal thing for a dentist-phobic person to witness! :eek:
TBH I thought I was going to pass out after the first 15 minutes of the battle. After the battle was over (and she had admitted defeat) I asked "am I white" and she said "no you don't look as though you have any problem".............but I caught her assistant whispering "I will go out with him and sit him down".
When I got back to the car I had to sit for 20 minutes before I felt OK to drive..........I was shaking. I felt a whimp but I suppose you cant help how the body reacts.

Top Bottom