Derbyshire Police road safety advice to motorists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
On Cyclists
"More-and-more people are using bicycles as a way of commuting, exercising or as a form of enjoyment. Therefore it's worth proffering some safety advice to both drivers and cyclists who so often share the county's roads."

"If you're a driver involved in an incident with a cyclist, invariably it'll be the cyclist who will sustain the more serious injuries, considering the size of your vehicle in relation to theirs."

"90% of cyclist casualties in recent years were caused by careless inattention, firstly by drivers, secondly by cyclists (nidirect.gov.uk). It’s your responsibility as a driver to avoid hitting the cyclist, not the responsibility of the cyclist to avoid getting hit by you."

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Mostly good stuff. Shame they had to go and spoil it...

cyclists who choose not to wear helmets are risking a serious head injury
Do Derbyshire cyclists really wear knee and elbow pads?

Oh, and it's flout, not flaunt.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Mostly good stuff. Shame they had to go and spoil it...

cyclists who choose not to wear helmets are risking a serious head injury
Do Derbyshire cyclists really wear knee and elbow pads?

Oh, and it's flout, not flaunt.
lots of mtb-ers?

And I agree; mostly good stuff, good to see it on their website, and hopefully it will be the party line thereabouts henceforth. If Sussex plod came up with similar I'd tolerate the helmetobollox because of the value of the good stuff.

Yep, credit where credit is due. 'Beware a left turn' could be the most important piece of advice for some drivers who consider cyclists filtering through as an undertake.

Sara_H

Guru
Hmmm. It's a bit of a mixed bag. If they remobed the helmet bollox I'd be sharing it on facebook/twitter. As it is, I'm not.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You wouldn't want to congratulate them on the good bit and point out the limitations of the HB?
In pointing out the limitations would I stand any chance of influencing them to change anything? I think not.
And I would not want a debate on HB to otherwise negatively colour the joy I'd be expeirencing about, and the praise they would be getting for, the rest.

Top Bottom