Devon/Cornwall/Dorset holidays...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Never been down that neck of the woods, but was thinking of holiday there this summer. Any recommendations? Bude? Penzance? I've no idea.

Absolute No.1 priority: Must be plenty of stuff for kids to do (ours are 12, 10, 3 y/o)...or my life won't be worth living.

Suggestions?

Kindest Regards
Maz

tuffty

I grew up down that way, its perfect for kids. North coast is better than south - Hayle, Perranporth and Polzeath are all nice but avoid Newquay. Just pick a spot, buy some boogie boards and away they go ...

Eden Project in St Austell is well worth a visit with kids, there's a theme park - Flambards - in Helston that's pretty good too. Land's End is overrated but take them hunting for serpentine at The Lizard instead ... and St Michael's Mount is worth a visit whilst you're over that way. All of these places are only about an hour's drive apart at most.

Closer to home (well, it is for me anyway) how about Exmouth? Great beaches etc with lots of other stuff nearby in case of wet weather (Exeter is just up the road, there's an amusement park at Crealy and I can heartily recommend the donkey sanctuary at Sidmouth, which is free as well). Oh and there's the Exe Estuary Trail if you have bikes with you.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Thanks, chaps. I will look into all of these and sort something out very soon.
Cheers.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Exmouth, nominated by Chuffy, seconded by Sittingduck.;)

I was thinking of taking a long weekend somewhere round there, but it needed to have a train station. I did not realise Exmouth was so nice, and Sidmouth has no train station.

Found a website or two with webcams of Exmouth, and it does look nice. I would like to stay at a hotel with facilities, like pool and gardens etc, found the "Devoncourt" Hotel, do you know anything about it? Presumably there are buses along the coast.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Not savvy about the hotels there, sorry Speicher :sad: Had the good fortune of having relatives who owned a nice B&B there back in the day!. Went to Sidmouth a few times and Budleigh Salterton also. I quite fancy going back down there this year for a bit of a biking tour ;)

peanut

+1 for Hayle if you have kids. Good beach lots of amusement arcades and night life on the chalet parks. Take a trip on the coast mini railway to St Ives . Used to have some great holidays with my Sister's kids at Towans . The self catering chalets are brilliant . Huge picture windows overlooking the estuary and some are less than 60 yards from the beach. Nice little town and the little harbour area is nice too .

Top Bottom