Di2 Gear restrictions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hughsy98

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a Scott Foil with Ultegra Di2 on it, the problem is I'm a youth A (under 16) so to race i have to restrict my gears and i cannot find anywhere on the internet to solve if i am able to restrict the gears. Please anyone who knows if you can help me out :smile: thanks.

jay clock

Massive member
can you buy a cassette with a large smallest cog (e.g. 16?)

OP
OP
H

Hughsy98

Yes but that's more money which the bike is alot itself:/ , there are 2 screws in the back of the mec that could be the restrictions but just trying to make sure before we part with the money hahaha.

adscrim

Veteran
What's the smallest chainrings you can get on a 110BCD chainset and still have the front mech work - can you restrict a regular cassette by using smaller chainrings upfront?

EDIT: Sorry, just read your post about not spending more money - I think race organisers would take a dim view of restricting gearing by changing limit screws. Nothing to say you're not changing limit settings on the start line! Obviously check, as it's a long time since I raced as a junior.

EDIT 2: You're fine to restrict using the limit screws - http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zu...nteer/Commissaire_Quick_Guide_COMMISSAIRE.pdf

Last edited:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
The etube software permits you to customise the shift patterns. You can actually use the 11 speed shifter with the 10 speed mechs you just need to tell it so. Some people claim its possible to restrict shifting on a software level effectively Im not personally aware of this and have never seem it in action.
to restrict the physical range of a cassette further you have to mechanically restrict it. I would not advise this to be done with Di2 as it restricts movement of the servo in the mech and causes premature wear.

jay clock

Massive member
Yes but that's more money which the bike is alot itself:/ , there are 2 screws in the back of the mec that could be the restrictions but just trying to make sure before we part with the money hahaha.
surely the bike with Di2 must be worth £1500-£2000. A cassette will be under £50 so not tons in the grand scheme of things?

OP
OP
H

Hughsy98

just a quick heads up, you can not restrict gears on the Di2 therefor i have bought a 16 up cassette, weighs the bike down but ohwell! :biggrin:

Top Bottom