Did you know your grandparents ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got very irritated at work recently by their selection of verification questions for asking for a password reset. Amongst the questions was name of my paternal grandfather. I've absolutely no idea of the names of either of my grandfathers, one died in the 1920's, I believe of malaria contracted whilst fighting in Mesopotamia during WWI, the other died from a mine dropped on a railway station during WWII. He was on Home Guard duty at the time. Nor did I know my grandmothers, one died when I was a toddler the other when I was 11, I sort of knew her but I've no idea what her name was. Am I alone in thinking this a completely unreasonable question to be asked for a password reset at work ?

Only 1 of the 4 here.

I guess you can make something up but then it is remembering it for next time.

TVC

My final grandparent died three months before I arrived, so I never had a granny or gramps. I did have a couple of brilliant pairs of aunts and uncles who did a fantastic job as stand ins.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I knew my maternal grandfather.
My maternal grandmother died of breast cancer when my mum was only 17.
I never met my paternal grandparents. Both died within a year of each other, and before I was born.

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
I'm upset because the question smacks of ageism. I suspect that many of my age, over 50, would be hard pressed to answer this. I suspect that the question was selected by somebody considerably younger who doesn't appreciate that many of our grandfathers failed to make it through the war.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I never met my paternal grandparents. The Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea kept us apart. I was curious enough to ask my father what their names were and my memory is sound enough to retain the information.

I'll lend my paternal grandfather's name, Standford, FOC to the OP.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm upset because the question smacks of ageism. I suspect that many of my age, over 50, would be hard pressed to answer this. I suspect that the question was selected by somebody considerably younger who doesn't appreciate that many of our grandfathers failed to make it through the war.

I think you are being a tad over sensitive. Like I said in an earlier post, you can borrow Standford.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Paternal Grandfather died before I was born, but I knew the rest. Paternal Grandmother died when I was 9 (1971) then maternal Grandfather in 1972.
Maternal Grandmother lived until the age of 88, until she died in 1988, thereby outliving my mother by 10 years :sad:.

Fortunate enough to have known all of them. My Gran only died last year, a practical curmudgeonly battleaxe who was never afraid of speaking her mind and could make me laugh doing it. A testament to a generation that lived through the Blitz of Hull. Her brother didn't.
She was brilliant.

spen666

Legendary Member
some people seem to want to be offended

So what if you never met your grandparents. That does not stop you knowing their names!

You can find offence with any question if you want to?

Try to MTFU and get a life. Its far more fun when you are not deliberately looking for things to get offended about

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
2/4 both of whom lived to 91. I know all 4 names and maiden names.

The other 2: 1 killed in WW2 - a grocers delivery boy who left school at 14 & died aged 23 of an infection after having his badly injured leg amputated while a German POW. the letters he wrote after being badly injured & captured near Arnhem are both tough and inspiring to read. He writes highly of the care and efforts the German medics and nurses put into helping him.

My mums mum died of a massive stroke in 1964. My mum has spoken quite a bit about her recently as it is 50 years since she died.

Top Bottom