Different routes into teaching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good primary school teachers, in my opinion, should be paid more than their secondary school teacher counterparts.
On my second day in my first teaching job, the head of German and Russian took me by the lapels, put me up against the staff-room wall, and SNARLED. Don't remember what he said now - it's nearly 40 years ago. But I had ever so gently suggested my sympathy with that idea.

He didn't change my mind, though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can enter as an undergrad or postgrad. Postgrad needs a degree first then its an additional year with some good bursaries if you do STEM subjects and have a good degree grade.

There is also the standard BA route for 3 years.

Then there is Schools Direct (spit).

fossyant

Now that's my feeling but what are the reasons behind that statement? Is it because the government gets bodies in the classroom on the cheap?, or because there is little support for their training?

Greedy schools. The schools in our area have been asking for them (places) and failing to recruit to target, but that's a national picture - it's the same every year. How good the training is depends upon the University they are tied to and of course the School. Our Uni has a tight QA process so we are careful who we work with and we still deliver a fair portion of the course. It's no cheaper for the student, and it offers the student no better chance of a job at the end, but the schools will sometimes say that - it's a money thing.

There are extensive QA and academic procedures in place in a University that guarantees quality, it's not quite as good in schools, unless the University are heavily involved.

There are some salaried Schools Direct places available, but these are rare, and it's 'who you know' from what I can see as all the funding goes to a School, and they pick who they 'want'.

You've got the 3 year BA, or get a degree (3 years) then go into teaching with Schools direct PGCE or a University PGCE for a year. So at least with doing 3 years in 'any degree' it doesn't tie you into being a teacher, but you do have to do an extra year. At least with the PGCE you get a bursary if you get a 2:1 or higher. Pick a STEM course, and it will more than cover fees - upto £25k bursary if you have a first !!
Non-STEM Standard 2:1 will attract £4k, a first £9k. Some courses don't attract a bursary as they aren't as needed (Teacher Workforce planning or some such.

STEM bursaries start from having a 2:2 though. Maths and Sciences are in need !!!

I'm a bit biased, and would still recommend a University !

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Greedy schools. The schools in our area have been asking for them (places) and failing to recruit to target, but that's a national picture - it's the same every year. How good the training is depends upon the University they are tied to and of course the School. Our Uni has a tight QA process so we are careful who we work with and we still deliver a fair portion of the course. It's no cheaper for the student, and it offers the student no better chance of a job at the end, but the schools will sometimes say that - it's a money thing.

There are extensive QA and academic procedures in place in a University that guarantees quality, it's not quite as good in schools, unless the University are heavily involved.

There are some salaried Schools Direct places available, but these are rare, and it's 'who you know' from what I can see as all the funding goes to a School, and they pick who they 'want'.

You've got the 3 year BA, or get a degree (3 years) then go into teaching with Schools direct PGCE or a University PGCE for a year. So at least with doing 3 years in 'any degree' it doesn't tie you into being a teacher, but you do have to do an extra year. At least with the PGCE you get a bursary if you get a 2:1 or higher. Pick a STEM course, and it will more than cover fees - upto £25k bursary if you have a first !!
Non-STEM Standard 2:1 will attract £4k, a first £9k. Some courses don't attract a bursary as they aren't as needed (Teacher Workforce planning or some such.

STEM bursaries start from having a 2:2 though. Maths and Sciences are in need !!!

I'm a bit biased, and would still recommend a University !
Thanks, that's very useful!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It was a while ago now, but my brother started with an ordinary degree (mod lang) before spending some time abroad then coming back to this country for his PGCE. He was a primary school teacher - and I agree with @vernon with the level of stress that exposed him to. As a newly qualified teacher it seems that you're actually expected to do all of the lesson-planning and reviewing that they din into you at university - which means that on top of a full day of work, a commute and marking at home you've got a shedload of paperwork.

He loved it, but it probably all contributed to the road accident which took him out of the workforce.

fossyant

Thanks, that's very useful!

Good stuff. I'm not an academic, but work closely with them - I'm Financial so have seen all the Governments changes of policy over the last 7 years. Seen some bonkers stuff where courses are pulled after a year. We've had some fab success though with SEN courses that have become self funded after the government pulled out - our course is so good, schools are paying a (very modest) fee to send their teachers on it.

Have a look at Ofsted results ! Pay a little look into NSS, but take it like 'Trip Adviser' - only the moaners complain.

We've just moved into a brand spanking new building, from some dire accommodation that was falling apart. I heard one student say 'I don't like the smell of the lecture theatre' - it's brand new, state of the art - the smell is new wood and furniture ! The old place smelt damp.

Have a look at the accommodation that's provided by the Uni for teaching. There are many fabulous buildings !

fossyant

It was a while ago now, but my brother started with an ordinary degree (mod lang) before spending some time abroad then coming back to this country for his PGCE. He was a primary school teacher - and I agree with @vernon with the level of stress that exposed him to. As a newly qualified teacher it seems that you're actually expected to do all of the lesson-planning and reviewing that they din into you at university - which means that on top of a full day of work, a commute and marking at home you've got a shedload of paperwork.

He loved it, but it probably all contributed to the road accident which took him out of the workforce.

It's tough, but the Schools should be better than they are, and they are not. Even Pre-school care - new member of staff, no training, gets the curriculum planning ????

Top Bottom