Dimension Data

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Do Team Dimension Data benefit by getting extra information through having the company behind them, or is that frowned upon or even illegal?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I would say not. The new data onscreen has been a relatively good addition.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
OK. Serious answer. What information are you thinking of? Race stats and times etc? Well, that belongs to (I would guess) ASO, not DD. So DDD (the team) have no more access than other teams. DD (the data processor) won't have any right to pass on data belonging to their client (ASO) without the say-so of the client.

Edit: Cross post with @User14044

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd expect DDD might get more data on their own riding, but probably completely independently of the DD-ASO contract in order to avoid any risk or accusations of DDD getting data about other teams.

After all, other sponsors have provided their products to their teams many many times before. Latexco mattresses for the EQS beds comes to mind, although Sky now do similar according to According To G. Oooh and Look pedals, famously.

Do IAM Cycling benefit from having access to unlimited quantities of cat food?
Just in case anyone doesn't get the joke: wrong IAM.

U

User169

You could ask the same question about a lot of teams and their sponsors. Do Giant Alpecin benefit by having beautiful hair? Do IAM Cycling benefit from having access to unlimited quantities of cat food?

Nah - Giant benefit from having a fiber made by the company I work for woven into their shorts.

SWSteve

Guru
Nah - Giant benefit from having a fiber made by the company I work for woven into their shorts.

Does it *really* make a difference?

DogTired

Über Member
Do Team Dimension Data benefit by getting extra information through having the company behind them, or is that frowned upon or even illegal?

The data seems to be reliably (and securely) providing the rider location at a point in time and this is available to broadcasters. Aggregating this to provide information on speed, groups, distance between riders etc. There's some non-tech commercial bumph here: http://www2.dimensiondata.com/tourdefrance.

The interesting stuff would be speed over gradient as if you were really bothered you can work out power output on hills, but as wind speed / rider weight doesn't seem to be mentioned how accurate that would be is debatable. It also tells you what riders can do, not what they're holding back, so using 'analytics' is of little use.

The only thing it could help with is punching the tedious W/kg up a hill argument in the face. Most years an 'expert' proclaims that someone's gone up a hill too fast to be natural. This could help demonstrate whether this is true or not (with a degree of error). Oh and detecting whether a cheating spud like Nibali has had a tow from his team car.

So, extra intelligence from having DiData behind them? Highly unlikely and there are so many variables on the day hard to predict anything.

Top Bottom