Dimming lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
I ride to work a few times a week, mainly along cycle track from Chester to Flint, and as the mornings are now a tad on the dark side lights are the order of the day. I like to think of myself as a considerate cyclist so when I see another cyclist I cover my front light a little so I don't blind the poor devil who is coming towards me.

Who else does the same? It is a bit annoying when someone comes towards you with lights brighter than the sun pointing directly in your eyes!

D

Deleted member 26715

Surely of you have to cover your light you have it aimed too high?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It common sense. There's really no need to even put your hand over your lights if they have been set properly ie aimed down in front of you, a couple of meters ahead rather then aimed straight ahead or upwards.
I am constantly amazed at how many cyclists do not set their lights properly. That, or they do it on purpose witch is completely selfish to others.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I would struggle to put my hand over my fork-mounted headlight for long and stay on the bike, but I'm using a ROAD light (beam stays below the horizontal except a minimal be-seen spill) and not an MTB one, so it doesn't dazzle oncoming road users.

OP
OP
sean8997

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
my light is set down so the main beam is pointing down towards the floor a few meters I front of me, the light does however still have a wider beam that is still quite bright.

Slick

Guru
Same for me, just set the lights lower. One thing did surprise me on one particular ride about my own lights. Whilst out on a training ride with someone else, we knew we would get caught in the darkness but as I had twin lights back and front, we decided my lights would do for the both of us. As darkness fell, I shared my lights with the other guy, and was promptly blinded as I travelled behind my own light. I never realised exactly how bright it was, and was promptly binned.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
And then there are those with the fit inducing strobe mode.

They are the work of Stan.
A cycle commuter this evening had 2 blasting away. Big twit.

Reactions: mjr

united4ever

Über Member
What of its an unlit path completely black otherwise......i want to see more than a few metres ahead. I also cover them as a cyclist approaches.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
What is the preferred option for 'to be seen' lights in well lit areas?

I'm a flasher personally because I think a constant light just gets lost in the wider light pollution (cars and street lighting).

Tim Hall

What of its an unlit path completely black otherwise......i want to see more than a few metres ahead. I also cover them as a cyclist approaches.
You can have a light with a well shaped bright beam that will light up your way. These tend to cost more than the zillion lumen, splash the light everywhere jobs available from a mass of suppliers on Ebay for a few quid.

There's more to lighting than a bright light source.

Top Bottom