disappointed with myself

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My most used bike (of 3) is by far, the roadie... I 'progressed' onto it after a year of cycling round the roads on my MTB... and seeing all these peeps on swish roadbikes, and thinking "I want", basically.
But I couldn't afford a top of the range, so I bought a bottom of the range, for about £300 or so (might have been (350, can't remember).
But I still have it nearly a decade later. I love getting out on it. Have never looked back from buying it.
I have a tourer too, but that's for different purposes, really :smile:

buggi

Bird Saviour
I think your problem is that you just haven't fallen in love with one. Stop analysing and going over the spec in your head, and stop asking questions and just go with your heart.

I bought my first road bike in 2003 simply coz I loved it. I knew nothing about bikes at the time, all I knew was that it said super lightweight on the frame and it was a pearly blue and silver. I fell in love with it for those reasons. 105 groupset and magnesium frame meant nothing to me. I was on that bike ALL the time. I LOVED THAT BIKE. I loved showing it off.

When that bike broke in 2007 I took all the knowledge I had accumulated since 2003 and bought my carbon with ultegra. It had all the components I wanted and was pretty much the lightest bike on the market. However, the colour didn't do it for me, which was the one thing I compromised on. I HAVE NEVER LOVED THAT BIKE. I like it, but I don't love it. It does the job, and it does it well, it's fast, it climbs with ease, but I don't love it, it's just a bike. I haven't bought another road bike since because I haven't fallen in love with anything else either so I can't justify the cost of changing it when its such a good bike...

Until the other day. I walked into a shop and it was love at first sight. Despite the bike being £2k I knew I had to have it. I was prepared to sell my soul... Or at least my shares!! As it was, they sold out in my size. The shop has tried to find me similar but to me it's just a compromise and I'm not prepared to compromise for that much money. I want something that sets my heart on fire.

From now on, it's not about spec, it's about love. Nothing is as important as love, as that is what makes you want to ride!!

Last edited:

contadino

Veteran
I got a 'racer' about 10 weeks ago and haven't used the drops more than once. Pretty pointless things really, but a PITA to change and the rest of the bike is fab.

Drago

Legendary Member
You've been tricked into the usual UK bike snobbery? Get over it. Lots of us here have nice upright bikes: flat bars, risers, swept/Dutch, porteurs/French, bullhorns, butterflies... arguably North Roads are the real connoisseurs' bars. ;)

Mr Jay is wise. So long as you love it, that's all that matters. Give me a week and I will be unveiling my Frankenbike project, and I expect it will garner admiration, derision and disbelief in equal measure, but that doesn't matter one jot as im the one riding it.

Cryptic clue - I'll be needing a deer stalker.

snorri

Legendary Member
Why is it that I have to have a drop bar bike to feel part of the cycling elite? I've been cycling daily for 10+ years, been on many a cycling holiday, but still don't feel like I'm a proper cyclist - if there is such a thing. I'm off on another holiday soon, and I know everyone will be on a road bike set-up.
Oh dear:sad:.
Read the posts from Vernon and mjray ,then read them again and again until you get these odd notions out of your head.
:smile:

BigAl68

Über Member
Drops, flat, moustache it doesn't really matter. I thought I was a "proper cyclist" until the weekend when I went downhill on a mountain bike. I now feel a bit of a road bike wuss.

Ride the bike with a smile and you are doing it right :okay:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I think your problem is that you just haven't fallen in love with one. Stop analysing and going over the spec in your head, and stop asking questions and just go with your heart.

I bought my first road bike in 2003 simply coz I loved it. I knew nothing about bikes at the time, all I knew was that it said super lightweight on the frame and it was a pearly blue and silver. I fell in love with it for those reasons. 105 groupset and magnesium frame meant nothing to me. I was on that bike ALL the time. I LOVED THAT BIKE. I loved showing it off.

When that bike broke in 2007 I took all the knowledge I had accumulated since 2003 and bought my carbon with ultegra. It had all the components I wanted and was pretty much they lightest bike on the market. However, the colour didn't do it for, which was the one thing I compromised on. I HAVE NEVER LOVED THAT BIKE. I like it, but I don't love it. It does the job, and it does it well, but I don't love it, it's just a bike. I haven't bought another road bike since because I haven't fallen in love with anything else either and I can't justify the cost of changing it when its such a good bike...

Until the other day. I walked into a shop and it was love at first sight. Despite the bike being £2k I knew I had to have it. I was prepared to sell my soul... Or at least my shares!! As it was, they sold out in my size. The shop has tried to find me similar but to me it's just a compromise and I'm not prepared to compromise for that much money. I want something that sets my heart on fire.

From now on, it's not about spec, it's about love. Nothing is as important as love, as that is what makes you want to ride!!
This has got to be the best post I've read on a "what bike" type thread ever!
Heart over head every time for me too.

yello

A cautionary tale; my wife was like you. She wanted a 'proper' bike, one with drops. Her hybrid just didn't cut it. So went shopping, deciding on a Giant. I set it all up and she rode if for a few weeks before deciding she didn't feel safe on it. It was too light. 2 years later, it's still in the shed with her saying she'll get back on it one day.

Not saying that'll happen to you but do please try before you buy!

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
That's exactly why I have a Bianchi road bike.

Mrs M

Guru
You can have top bar brake levers fitted to a road bike too you know.
My Felt "wifie mobile" has the suicide brakes, don't use them much.
image.jpg

Top Bottom