disappointed with myself

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I think your problem is that you just haven't fallen in love with one. Stop analysing and going over the spec in your head, and stop asking questions and just go with your heart.

I bought my first road bike in 2003 simply coz I loved it. I knew nothing about bikes at the time, all I knew was that it said super lightweight on the frame and it was a pearly blue and silver. I fell in love with it for those reasons. 105 groupset and magnesium frame meant nothing to me. I was on that bike ALL the time. I LOVED THAT BIKE. I loved showing it off.

When that bike broke in 2007 I took all the knowledge I had accumulated since 2003 and bought my carbon with ultegra. It had all the components I wanted and was pretty much they lightest bike on the market. However, the colour didn't do it for, which was the one thing I compromised on. I HAVE NEVER LOVED THAT BIKE. I like it, but I don't love it. It does the job, and it does it well, but I don't love it, it's just a bike. I haven't bought another road bike since because I haven't fallen in love with anything else either and I can't justify the cost of changing it when its such a good bike...

Until the other day. I walked into a shop and it was love at first sight. Despite the bike being £2k I knew I had to have it. I was prepared to sell my soul... Or at least my shares!! As it was, they sold out in my size. The shop has tried to find me similar but to me it's just a compromise and I'm not prepared to compromise for that much money. I want something that sets my heart on fire.

From now on, it's not about spec, it's about love. Nothing is as important as love, as that is what makes you want to ride!!

Great post Buggi, if you love how your bike looks you'll love owning it and riding it. Just looking at it in the garage will make you happy. If you think it's an unattractive beast then no matter how well it rides it's just a tool for the job.

I've posted countless 'what bike' posts on cycle chat over the past few years - been to lots of bike shops, tried bikes, read tonnes of posts and reviews - and yet I'm still without a 'road' bike. I don't know what is stopping me from getting over that final hurdle and handing over my cash.

I actually feel like a bit of a cycling failure. I'm envious everytime I see someone on a road bike, and think - 'right - that's it - I'm definitely going to get one now'. I daren't go into my local bike shops now after spending so much time going through things with them - and still not coming any closer to a purchase - I'm probably what they term as a 'time waster'.

Why is it that I have to have a drop bar bike to feel part of the cycling elite? I've been cycling daily for 10+ years, been on many a cycling holiday, but still don't feel like I'm a proper cyclist - if there is such a thing. I'm off on another holiday soon, and I know everyone will be on a road bike set-up. I know it really doesn't matter - and it's what you do with your bike that matters - but it matters to me. Beating myself up a bit here - and there isn't really any answer - but kind of feel better writing down how I feel!

I can relate to what you are thinking. My first attempt at a bike store did not seem right and I thought it was not for me. But as I noticed others young and the elderly doing it with ease, I had to give it a go. One day I told my self that I will take a punt and walked into an LBS and bought one, no questions asked. I was prepared to flog it on Gumtree if it did not work.

Over that weekend I learnt to handle it and could feel the difference. I now realise what I was missing. Just go for it. You can always flog it. There is no loss as it is the price that you pay for not wondering anymore.

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
As the others said, don't feel pressured to buy a road bike just because it's the "done thing". They're not the answer to everything. I bought my first road bike 3 years ago, and very much enjoy it, but my touring bike still gets most of the use, as it's far better suited for commuting (which is where most my distance comes from). So my road bike certainly didn't supersede the other bike.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've posted countless 'what bike' posts on cycle chat over the past few years - been to lots of bike shops, tried bikes, read tonnes of posts and reviews - and yet I'm still without a 'road' bike. I don't know what is stopping me from getting over that final hurdle and handing over my cash.

I actually feel like a bit of a cycling failure. I'm envious everytime I see someone on a road bike, and think - 'right - that's it - I'm definitely going to get one now'. I daren't go into my local bike shops now after spending so much time going through things with them - and still not coming any closer to a purchase - I'm probably what they term as a 'time waster'.

Why is it that I have to have a drop bar bike to feel part of the cycling elite? I've been cycling daily for 10+ years, been on many a cycling holiday, but still don't feel like I'm a proper cyclist - if there is such a thing. I'm off on another holiday soon, and I know everyone will be on a road bike set-up. I know it really doesn't matter - and it's what you do with your bike that matters - but it matters to me. Beating myself up a bit here - and there isn't really any answer - but kind of feel better writing down how I feel!
An honest post deserves an honest reply.

Whilst it would be sensitive of me to say "so long as you are riding you are winning" and stuff like that ...as someone who was in the same position as you a few years back, I cant recommend a road bike enough...sorry

I know what you are going through, I sort of wanted a road bike but couldn't really sell myself the idea, after all I was already a cyclist right? what difference could a set of curly bars make. And yet bike snobbery (and my own ego) stopped me from "joining in" and transcending from a commuter into a person who enjoyed cycling for many more reasons. As a result I rode a hybrid/mtb for years, but only to work.

As soon as I took the plunge (took me a year ...or so) My cycling life just changed. I found that the years on a hybrid had made me a pretty decent rider and I started riding more and more, became fitter and fitter and soon started attempting stuff I would never have considered a few months before. I have now cycled from Lands end to John O groats, as well as London to Paris, London to Brussels a few night rides from London to the coast and have booked Brussels to Paris in July plus a tour of the lakes in June. I love cycling and prefer it to almost any other past time other than sitting on the sofa with a nice cup of tea,

whilst the type of bike you ride shouldn't dictate your involvement...it just kinda does.

My advice...get amongst it, i am positive you wont regret it.

And just take it slow on the hills, untill your grip increases in strength and then you'll be braking harder from the hoods than you ever did on flat bars.

Good luck

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I think your problem is that you just haven't fallen in love with one. Stop analysing and going over the spec in your head, and stop asking questions and just go with your heart.

I bought my first road bike in 2003 simply coz I loved it. I knew nothing about bikes at the time, all I knew was that it said super lightweight on the frame and it was a pearly blue and silver. I fell in love with it for those reasons. 105 groupset and magnesium frame meant nothing to me. I was on that bike ALL the time. I LOVED THAT BIKE. I loved showing it off.

When that bike broke in 2007 I took all the knowledge I had accumulated since 2003 and bought my carbon with ultegra. It had all the components I wanted and was pretty much the lightest bike on the market. However, the colour didn't do it for me, which was the one thing I compromised on. I HAVE NEVER LOVED THAT BIKE. I like it, but I don't love it. It does the job, and it does it well, it's fast, it climbs with ease, but I don't love it, it's just a bike. I haven't bought another road bike since because I haven't fallen in love with anything else either so I can't justify the cost of changing it when its such a good bike...

Until the other day. I walked into a shop and it was love at first sight. Despite the bike being £2k I knew I had to have it. I was prepared to sell my soul... Or at least my shares!! As it was, they sold out in my size. The shop has tried to find me similar but to me it's just a compromise and I'm not prepared to compromise for that much money. I want something that sets my heart on fire.

From now on, it's not about spec, it's about love. Nothing is as important as love, as that is what makes you want to ride!!
Brilliant post.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Drop barred bikes are de rigeur in the UK if you want to be considered a 'proper cyclist'. It's not so in mainland Europe. Drop barred bikes are not a common sight in Europe. I have four bicycles but only one of them gets regular use - the flat barred one. There's nothing inherently superior to drop barred bikes.

Just pretend that you're French and enjoy the riches of cycling with what you have.
I suspect this is because cycling is part of general life in the continent (or much of it) people don't apply a great deal of kudos to the choice...its a tool. in the Uk we are no where near that level of acceptance and much of the cycling is undertaken as a sport, or as exercise. like running. As such we like to "show off" our gear as its a lifestyle thing, not a lifeline thing.

I don't agree with this but its just the way it is and changing this takes more than just increased numbers of cyclists or devoted choice, it will take generations before cyclists are accepted on the UK roads the way they are on the continent and then another before bike choice becomes secondary to the process

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Get a set of 'interupter' brakes fitted.
these
cane-creek-crosstop.jpg
Maybe

My Ridgeback Panorama touring bike came fitted with those as standard.... and I love 'em. They let you descend with your arms straight and your head up instead of nose down and peering over the top of your glasses. I get far less neck ache than I used to when riding long distances with conventional drop bars with only two brake levers. They are also a real bonus when riding in town traffic or pootling along looking over hedges, as you can sit more upright and get a far better view of the world any time you want. Sounds like they would be a perfect addition to any road bike you order.

Attachments

• cane-creek-crosstop.jpg
    cane-creek-crosstop.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 2

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
' Motivation does not precede action — it follows it. This is an extremely important principle. Many people say that they would like to change their behaviors (e.g., start an exercise regimen, quit smoking), but they are waiting for the motivation before they begin making the change. The flaw in this logic is that “waiting” for motivation is unlikely to be helpful. Once you begin to change your behavior, for example going to the gym on a daily basis, your new behavior itself will give you the motivation to continue. That is to say, the more you get, the more you want. ...

just-do-it.jpg

Whats-the-worst.jpg

Attachments

• just-do-it.jpg
    just-do-it.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 2
Our two 9 year olds (boy & girl) have (had) the usual kids MTB bikes but I got them one road bike to see how they took to it. If they didn't like it, it is easier to sell one. I had them riding up the street a couple of weeks ago and both managed with toe clips and drop bars (brakes, gears), so I took them out for a ride this weekend where they shared the road bike (girl on the way out, boy on the way back). On the way back, my daughter nearly had an accident because she tried to do down onto the drops on her MTB :-). Needless to say, she raced away on the way out and he raced away on the way back. They both really like it .... only problem is that I need to get another one now :angry:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They are not the suicide brakes of old where the extra levers spouted from the brake body itself. What you have there are proper brakes that actually work.
Aye, the new-style ones are called interrupter levers, aren't they? Much better idea. The old suicide levers aka extension levers that pushed the top of the main brake lever down... they used to bend if you pulled them too hard!
0620-170639.jpg

Attachments

• 0620-170639.jpg
    0620-170639.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 3

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
As soon as I took the plunge (took me a year ...or so) My cycling life just changed. I found that the years on a hybrid had made me a pretty decent rider and I started riding more and more, became fitter and fitter and soon started attempting stuff I would never have considered a few months before. I have now cycled from Lands end to John O groats, as well as London to Paris, London to Brussels a few night rides from London to the coast and have booked Brussels to Paris in July plus a tour of the lakes in June. I love cycling and prefer it to almost any other past time other than sitting on the sofa with a nice cup of tea,

Conversely, most of my early miles were done on a Dawes Galaxy with dropped bars. I completed Lands End to John o'Groats, John o'Groats to Land's End, a Channel to the Mediterranean studiously avoiding flat barred tourers despite them being the most common touring bike in Europe. I had my epiphany moment during a ride from St Nazaire to Dijon when the frame on my Dawes Galaxy fractured and I bought a flat barred touring hybrid from Decathlon - it was the most cost effective solution to the problem as the Galaxy would have needed a respray after welding plus a lot of the components were near to the end of their service life. It was a revelation! Much to my surprise, the hybrid was as fast and as comfortable as the Galaxy. Meanwhile I acquired a couple of dropped barred bikes for Audaxing and these were used for all day rides that were 100km or more. My most recent acquisition is a flat barred hub geared touring bike hand built by Woodrup. It has seen me through France, Switzerland, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia and Serbia. It is supremely comfortable and is used for more miles than my other bicycles. It is a mile or two per hour slower than the flat barred bikes but has acquitted itself well on Friday Night Rides to the Coast, 100km audaxes and short leisure rides. I'm about to fly to America with it to embark on a coast to coast ride and I'll be doing a UK coast to coast ride starting tomorrow.

I doubt that a drop barred bike will ever again be my first choice but they do have a place in my cycling needs. I do have a hankering for a bespoke drop barred bike but that is a 'want' and not a 'need'. It's major purpose would be for me to drool over and receive admiring glances from me as it's perched behind me in the living/work room and as such I cant justify buying one.

Getting the dream bike can be fraught with doubt. I was lucky enough to be given the Woodrup Chimera prototype for a weekend long test ride. The first thirty miles was enough to convince me that it was to be 'the' bike but I kept it for the rest of the weekend. I'd spent over a year pondering over the merits of hub geared bikes without ever casting a leg over one. The test ride was the final persuader that my hankerings were realistic and the benefits tangible.

The OP should resist making a rushed decision to purchase the first bike that has the biggest bling quotient and instead buy the bike that suits her needs best and it won't necessarily be a drop barred bike. There's some great fast flat barred hybrids out there.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Why on earth do you think you are not a real cyclist if you dont have drop bars?

Probably 3/4 of the people on this site have a variety of bikes in their shed/garage and they consider themselves a real cyclist whichever bike they are on. In fact so much so they dont even bother considering it at all.

A real cyclist is someone that gets on a bike and rides it^_^

Last edited:
Top Bottom