disc brake cleaner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Michael86

Just wondered what is everyone's view on disc brake cleaner. Is it worth it and what does anybody use as a alternative?

Leodis

Veteran
I use the Muc off one, its ok. I only bought it because I contaminated my disc pads/disc with WD40.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Is your disc brake bike a road bike? If so why do you need to clean the rotors? Have they become contaminated with oil or lube or suchlike. Other wise there is no need to clean them .

For all things MTB Disc, you need to speak to Mr @Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Isopropyl Alcohol. You can get it off eBay in pump spray bottles. Better for the environment and a lot cheaper than proprietary brake cleaners. It also has the added advantage of being 99.9% alcohol. Some store bought cleaners have additives which aren't good for bike brakes. I know someone who bought some motorcycle based stuff which promised to reduce brake squeal. It did eliminate the squeal, along with about 85% of the braking efficiency.

I use it to clean out the calipers when I'm changing pads, and to clean the rotors when I've washed the bike with any form of detergent. It's also a very good workshop degreaser.
Is your disc brake bike a road bike? If so why do you need to clean the rotors? Have they become contaminated with oil or lube or suchlike. Other wise there is no need to clean them .

For all things MTB Disc, you need to speak to Mr @Cubist

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just put contaminated pads in the dishwasher and clean discs with glass cleaner. Job done.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Abrading the pads may also restore them to original friction.

Rather than remove the pads to do this, a good tip is to remove the wheel and scuff them in situ with a nail file.

Drago

Legendary Member
Car disc brake cleaner. Like most cycle related fluids and ungents, its pretty much the same but vastly cheaper than the stuff in cycle specific packaging.

Globalti

Legendary Member
On a mountain bike your brakes are getting good and hot quite often as well as being scoured with muddy water. That should be enough to keep them clean and effective but if you find them juddering and giving out a squawk as you roll to a stop, they are contaminated with oil or brake fluid and need cleaning.

Red17

Veteran
On a mountain bike your brakes are getting good and hot quite often as well as being scoured with muddy water. That should be enough to keep them clean and effective but if you find them juddering and giving out a squawk as you roll to a stop, they are contaminated with oil or brake fluid and need cleaning.

Should keep the pads clean but I always give the pistons a good squirt of cleaner to prevent them seizing up.

I normally use the Castrol rubber grease for the pistons on my motorbike which helps stops them dragging, but never bothered on the cycle as yet.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sorry to say this but you don't understand how brake pistons work. They do not move in and out of the seals every time you apply the brake; apart from anything else, what is there to push them away from the disc?

What happens is that the pistons get pushed to the disc and stop and then when you de-compress the fluid, the flexibility of the rubber seals causes the pistons to settle back a short distance away from the disc. Every time you squeeze the lever the rubber seals are deformed and the brake is applied. As the pads wear the pistons do creep through the seals but the process is very slow.

If you've ever removed a piston from a brake caliper you'll know how damn tight the seals are and you'll realise that they can't slide in and out through the seals.

Red17

Veteran
I've spent 30 years removing and replacing caliper pistons and seals on my motorcycles and dealing with siezed pistons, but bow to your superior wisdom. Obviously siezed pistons cannot occur on bicycles.

Top Bottom