Disc brakes to be allowed for pro teams - test period

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

This is a unbelievably stupid idea and my partner who is a cycling event medic also rolled his eyes to the heavens and started to stockpile burn medicine when we first heard about it.

The main worry is the discs getting red hot which will not only burn people in the event of a Peleton crash but there is also a serious risk of bikes catching fire, (it's not a concern when it's a race where riders won't be in a pack like a downhill MTB race,) Not only in the event of a group crash but also if riders make a mistake in the peleton and get the wrong part of their own bike too close to the discs of another in a decent. There are potentially quite a few things on a bike that could go up and go up fast, some chain lubes are flammable, a lot of tyre sealants, degreasers and grease are also. Carbon actually needs to get quite hot before it catches, but that's irrelevant really as the tyres and seat posts will explode long before the frame starts to burn .

In order for this to work, there needs to be strict regulations on what chemicals people are allowed to use on bikes.

Not sure if you're being serious or not? Fire risk - really???

How have motorsports - where speeds and disc temperatures are massively higher - managed for all these years?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Fire risk?..give over.:laugh:

Learnincurve

Not sure if you're being serious or not? Fire risk - really???

How have motorsports - where speeds and disc temperatures are massively higher - managed for all these years?

The disk brakes are not usually as exposed, there are not flammable sealants on the tyres, any other flammable chemicals such as oil or petrol is contained on the inside of the car. it is unlikely that a race car will fall sideways onto a driver with bare legs and arms.

Stephen C

Über Member
Genuinely interested, what are the likely temperatures reached by a disc brake? Nobody seems to have put a number on it as far as I can see. I also notice from looking at images that the discs are mostly air, I'm assuming for heat dissipation, what cooling rates are achievable?

also this is what happens when flammable chain lube catches:

The last time I checked, the disc brakes were on the other side of wheel to the chain...

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
This is a unbelievably stupid idea and my partner who is a cycling event medic also rolled his eyes to the heavens and started to stockpile burn medicine when we first heard about it.

The main worry is the discs getting red hot which will not only burn people in the event of a Peleton crash but there is also a serious risk of bikes catching fire, (it's not a concern when it's a race where riders won't be in a pack like a downhill MTB race,) Not only in the event of a group crash but also if riders make a mistake in the peleton and get the wrong part of their own bike too close to the discs of another in a decent. There are potentially quite a few things on a bike that could go up and go up fast, some chain lubes are flammable, a lot of tyre sealants, degreasers and grease are also. Carbon actually needs to get quite hot before it catches, but that's irrelevant really as the tyres and seat posts will explode long before the frame starts to burn .

In order for this to work, there needs to be strict regulations on what chemicals people are allowed to use on bikes.
If you're saying that a disc brake will get hot enough to burn someone enough to need treatment then it doesn't matter if it's a bunch race, an enduro or DH because these burns (I ride MTB an awful lot and I've never seen a red hot brake disc... LOL ) will all be the same, a disc brake is a disc brake..

How many people ride with degreasers stuck to their bikes?

So much nonsense spouted :angry:

Citius

also this is what happens when flammable chain lube catches:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkA2tmLws_M

try that next to tubeless tyres and see what happens next

You know the flammable bit in chain lube is the carrier solvent, right? You know that evapourates in a matter of minutes, right? You know that such solvents are only ignited by an open flame, and not simply by heat, right? I can't believe I'm reading this. I must have missed all those chain fires in MotoGP and WSB.

On the positive side though, thanks for giving me the biggest laugh I've had today :smile:

Learnincurve

The last time I checked, the disc brakes were on the other side of wheel to the chain...

/facepalming

Your chain is on the other side, it's the guy next to you that's the problem.

If you're saying that a disc brake will get hot enough to burn someone enough to need treatment then it doesn't matter if it's a bunch race, an enduro or DH because these burns (I ride MTB an awful lot and I've never seen a red hot brake disc... LOL ) will all be the same, a disc brake is a disc brake..

Lucky you, the scars from the third degree burn on my leg from riding fast downhill, then face planting with my bike on top of me would suggest otherwise. The fact that disc brakes get red hot has never been in question, it's a fact and it's one of the reasons they were never allowed in pro-pelaton's before, it's not you that's going to get burned if a bike goes sideways it's the person underneath your bike and in solo races that isn't an issue.

What I'm asking isn't madness or laughable, I'm not ragging on people commuting with disc brakes or off road riders. This isn't personal and it does not apply to anyone but actual professional road racers. I'm asking that the regulations take into account the fact that these brakes get red hot on fast descents and that there should be additional regulations put in place to control flammable materials on bikes, especially the highly flammable solvents used in tubeless set ups they were not needed before as there was never anything glowing with V or canti brakes.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Lately I've been riding a bike with hydraulic discs and fitted with 160mm rotors front and rear. It's massive overkill in braking power for a road bike but it's a sheer joy to use. You can modulate braking power really easily and it inspires far greater confidence on descents.

Citius

I'm asking that the regulations take into account the fact that these brakes get red hot on fast descents and that there should be additional regulations put in place to control flammable materials on bikes, especially the highly flammable solvents used in tubeless set ups they were not needed before as there was never anything glowing with V or canti brakes.

The citical point - which you are still missing - is that without an ignition source, none of that will actually happen. Do you have any idea what the auto-ignition temperatures are for most hydrocarbons, in normal atmosphere?

Top Bottom