Disc brakes to be allowed for pro teams - test period

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

Bloody hell, calm down everyone.....

If only you'd said "hey, where's the fire?"

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
I don't care if there are stakeholders or marketing teams lining up to cash in on a disc brake boom. Nor do I care if the pros use them or not (besides disc systems inevitably becoming a bit cheaper, which isn't a deal breaker for me)

What I care about as a consumer and ultimately a tech fan, is buying bikes to the spec I desire. And I've desired hydraulic brakes since I first used them many years ago.

Sorry old chap, naively I was discussing "Disc brakes to be allowed for pro teams - test period"

I would think that ... weight ... may prove decisive but not to say they may not have their occasional applications in racing.

I assume the brake / wheel assembly weight counts towards the minimum weight limit, in which case could they just shave weight elsewhere to compensate?

One thing that is significant is that hopefully it signifies an end to UCI paralysis over (archaic) bike specs.

Citius

Pro team bikes are already carrying additional weights in order to keep them above the UCI limit. Using discs is not going to make them any heavier than they are now.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The fact that disc brakes get red hot has never been in question, it's a fact and it's one of the reasons they were never allowed in pro-pelaton's before

Another fact: carbon rims make a shite braking surface.

This, for me, is the biggest argument in favour of disc brakes. I mean, rather have too much braking power than none at all, right?

Another fact: carbon rims make a shite braking surface.

This, for me, is the biggest argument in favour of disc brakes. I mean, rather have too much braking power than none at all, right?

This, for me, a sound argument for banning carbon rims.

While they are at it, they can ban carbon frames too.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Freeza discs work like a charm, even with extreme brake dragging down a pass.
I have seen photos of one of those discs with the aluminium core of the disc squeezing out from between the steel faces where the heat build up from dragging the brakes on an Alpine descent softened it. (OK, it was on a tandem)

/facepalming

Your chain is on the other side, it's the guy next to you that's the problem.

Lucky you, the scars from the third degree burn on my leg from riding fast downhill, then face planting with my bike on top of me would suggest otherwise. The fact that disc brakes get red hot has never been in question, it's a fact and it's one of the reasons they were never allowed in pro-pelaton's before, it's not you that's going to get burned if a bike goes sideways it's the person underneath your bike and in solo races that isn't an issue.

What I'm asking isn't madness or laughable, I'm not ragging on people commuting with disc brakes or off road riders. This isn't personal and it does not apply to anyone but actual professional road racers. I'm asking that the regulations take into account the fact that these brakes get red hot on fast descents and that there should be additional regulations put in place to control flammable materials on bikes, especially the highly flammable solvents used in tubeless set ups they were not needed before as there was never anything glowing with V or canti brakes.

I see one can now buy ceramic chain lube. Presumably this is not flammable (my ceramic oven dishes don't seem to burn) and obviously this stuff was produced in anticipation of this severe fire risk.

Apparently asbestos-laced lycra is under development at Du Pont.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I have seen photos of one of those discs with the aluminium core of the disc squeezing out from between the steel faces where the heat build up from dragging the brakes on an Alpine descent softened it. (OK, it was on a tandem)
Apparently this is the biggest difference, braking method. Disks are better for short heavy periods of braking while rims are often dragged on descents. Those racing disks are going to have to change how they think about braking to get the most out of them. Fortunately they don't descend the long alpine type hills in a bunch.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Melting point of aluminium is 660°C. My initial thought was: "No way are people achieving that kind of temperature on bike brakes!" But then I looked into it some more...

Current F1 cars use rotors made of something called "carbon-carbon", which apparently performs poorly below 400ºC and only reaches optimum performance above 650ºC. It says here that brake temperatures can reach 1200ºC in an F1 race:
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/technology-explained/f1-2014-explained-brake-systems/

I'm no scientist but it sounds plausible to me that you could achieve a high enough temperature on a long alpine descent on a tandem to at least soften an aluminium rotor.

The adoption of disc brakes by the pros will no doubt drive technology forward much quicker and we'll soon start to see rotors made of all sorts of exotic materials designed for higher performance expectations. In the same way that F1 technology trickles down to the consumer market eventually, pros using disc brakes will in the long run be a good thing for the average cyclist.

Top Bottom