Disc brakes to be allowed for pro teams - test period

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
Then again, what do I know? Just an old retired racer. I would be very happy if all the experts on this forum were right and I was proved to be wrong.:notworthy:

Citius

Then again, what do I know? Just an old retired racer. I would be very happy if all the experts on this forum were right and I was proved to be wrong.:notworthy:

You're not the only racer on the forum ;)

The 'braking power' thing has already been addressed (there's naff-all difference). I had to rack my brains to think back to the number of times I have ever needed to come to a 'dead stop' during a race - the answer I came to was = I have never needed to do that.

Citius

So how does an article from 12 months ago mean 'the debate drags on'..??

oldroadman

Veteran
Bottom line, it's going to happen. Nightmare in races for neutral service who already have to carry two kinds of rear wheels, just multiply by at least two again. The only correct way to do this is 100% one system or another, no compromise. And all driven by the need of big money manufacturers who need to sell more kit. Nothing to do with the sport, just money for shareholders. As ever. A bigger worry is what happens when it works down to the lower levels, where mixing is more likely, and if I'm allowed to say this without getting flamed, less experienced or skilled riders are involved. Then if there are a series of incidents, insurers will get involved, and off we go again. Insuring races must be a nightmare anyway, in an age of claim for everything. I hope this does not happen, but it might? Anyone have any idea what BC have to pay in a year for insurance?

Nibali is in favour with the same two reservations as have surfaced since it was mooted: Braking forces between two disparate systems and discs in a crash. I guess we won't know how big either of these issues are until next season.

Citius

Disk and canti mix perfectly well in CX and used to (probably still do) mix perfectly well in MTB. It's a non issue.

oldroadman

Veteran
Disk and canti mix perfectly well in CX and used to (probably still do) mix perfectly well in MTB. It's a non issue.
An entirely different discipline, with no packed peloton filling a road within centimetres of each other. A lot of off road races end up with a few small groups and lots of individual riders. Thus whilst the analogy that mixed systems work appears Ok, in fact the context is so different that it's hard to see how it can be valid. In summary, I disagree with the statement "it's a non issue" when applied to road racing.

Hont

Guru
Nightmare in races for neutral service who already have to carry two kinds of rear wheels.
Just have double the amount of neutral service cars. That'll solve the problem because they'll be taking out so many riders that there'll be no chance of a packed peloton.

Top Bottom