Distracted Driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Recycle

Recycle

Über Member
Listened to a podcast (so it must be true!) that the deaths due to people using phones at the wheel are outweighed by the saving of lives as people are able to use the phones to call for emergency services quicker.
We know from driving tests that use of a hand held device is dangerous but by its nature it is difficult to collect good data showing to what extent mobile phones are causal in crashes. Unlike alcohol its not specifically tested for in reportable incidences. I doubt whether there is good data showing how many people are saved by mobile phone reporting so there would never be any good way of comparing the two.

That said, using a mobile phone at the wheel to report an emergency is not illegal so "net benefit" argument can't be used to justify general use behind the wheel.

Labradorofperception

Has anyone seen the Allianz advert, with the various drivers doing the school run. I was stunned as it just seems to say "it's ok to drive like a distracted knob while taking Chlamydia and Flatulenta to school/ pony club / baby ballet.

For that reason I cancelled my policy* with them - all the advert misses is the 20 year old missy in a Mini doing her makeup while texting.

*It was due for renewal and they were mahoosively expensive anyway....

Drago

Legendary Member
It's possibly to have a mobile phone, shown some restraint and self control and leave it alone, except in a life or limb emergency. The best of both worlds -normal drivers are safer, yet those in peril can still summon help.

Should be an automatic ban for mobile phone use and not wearing seatbelt.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
the council here just put a massive lcd tv screen showin adds selling mobilephones laptops tvs ect!
its fixed to a bridge over the central motorway in the citycentre!
oh a car crashed as they showed the new screen on the news as they filmed a interview with a counciler as he asked if it distacted drivers.

[QUOTE 3379744, member: 9609"]This is just to bizarre for words, a fast section of road that demands the greatest of concentration.
JS50357958.jpg

from this article in the Chronicle
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/northumberland-street-newcastle-set-huge-8076004[/QUOTE]

They had a similar distraction on the Mancunian Way in Manchester (!) a few years ago, when Eva H------ was on the Hello Boys wonderbra advert, they put the poster up right on a fast sweeping bend coming into a set of lights that tailed back every rush hour.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Can we Ban other things that I see on the way home from work being used by drivers.

Cups of coffee, delivery papers or newspapers, hair bushes, makeup.

Can we also Ban cyclists from reprogramming their bike computers on the move and wandering all over the road/ verge.

Can we also make all drivers drive with a passenger as I can never remember a driver using a phone when there is a passenger in the car. Check it out for yourselves.

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Can we Ban other things that I see on the way home from work being used by drivers.

Cups of coffee, delivery papers or newspapers, hair bushes, makeup.

Can we also Ban cyclists from reprogramming their bike computers on the move and wondering all over the road/ verge.

Can we also make all drivers drive with a passenger as I can never remember a driver using a phone when there is a passenger in the car. Check it out for yourselves.

I do see passengers on their mobile chatting away and wonder why they don't talk with the driver.

Mike_P

Guru
The one thing that cyclists should be concerned about if it is illegal for a motorist to take a drink of water whilst stationary in a queue if traffic, why is okay to drink from a water bottle whilst cycling?

OP
OP
Recycle

Recycle

Über Member
The one thing that cyclists should be concerned about if it is illegal for a motorist to take a drink of water whilst stationary in a queue if traffic, why is okay to drink from a water bottle whilst cycling?
For motoring the law doesn't distinguish between stationary and moving. There is also a certain inference that a driver's stationary behavior reflects their behaviour in motion.
From a cycling perspective there 2 things to consider:
1. A cyclist has nowhere near the kinetic energy of a car in motion and doesn't present the same risk.
2. The practicality of performing an activity that makes you sweat & demands regular fluid replacement, especially on hot days.

Drago

Legendary Member
A motorist can sup whatever non alcoholic beverage they like behind the wheel, so long as it's done in a manner that leaves them in proper control of the vehicle. There's no offence per se of enjoying a refreshing beverage while driving.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The cyclists are wondering why they got run over;0)

Passengers are allowed to use mobile phones.

A cyclist only presents risk to himself. But when he gets flattened it is always the drivers fault, regardless what the cyclist was doing at the time.

A cyclist may require regular fluid intake. That's why the put brakes on bikes :0)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'd like to add a couple of behaviours that, in my view, should not be permitted:

1. the practice of television presenters doing pieces to on-board camera while driving. For some reason the camera is commonly placed on the passenger seat, requiring the presenter to frequently take his eyes off the road for long periods as he does his spiel.

2. drivers of tourist coaches giving a running commentary on the history and scenery of the area around them as they drive.

GC

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'd like to add a couple of behaviours that, in my view, should not be permitted:

1. the practice of television presenters doing pieces to on-board camera while driving. For some reason the camera is commonly placed on the passenger seat, requiring the presenter to frequently take his eyes off the road for long periods as he does his spiel.
I often get distracted from whatever they are trying to say by instead noticing how much they focus on the road verses the camera, not all fall into the trap though!

OP
OP
Recycle

Recycle

Über Member
the ban will probably happen the first time one of them films themselves causing a crash.

Top Bottom