Disturbing comment from Coroner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Further to my previous post and having had a think on it ! why can they not lower the cab height's so that the driver sits lower down ? truck cabs these days seem to me to be climbing skywards,instead of a cab over why not a cab infront thus if driver is sat lower the blind stop would be about the same as per a car and an other plus point would be the driver would also be more vunerable so I think it may just make them think.
There is work being done on this - the London Cycling Campaign even drew up designs for such lower lorries. First, though, I think I believe more in the ''If you can't see where you're going, don't go there.'' principle. It should apply to ''sun-blinded'' drivers as well as blind lorries. Oh, and coroners too.....

JamesTaylor02

No. There was a bus and taxi who had blocked the ASL. Deep Lee was ahead of the lorry and in plain view to anyone who checked ahead of their vehicle before setting off, she would also have been plainly visible to anyone who had bothered to spend £20 on a mirror that eradicated the blind spot. The lorry driver Gibbs did neither and killed her, the wheel went over her head, then the police officer in court noted she had no helmet on or hi vis, neither of which would have made a scrap of difference to a driver who didn't bother to check the dirty great six foot blind spot in front of his vehicle.

The coroner's and copper's remarks are both symptomatic of the casual idiocy among the judicial system when a cyclists gets killed.

+1

Absolutely spot on, imho. Sadly I notice cyclists getting treated pretty badly by motorists; I've been on the receiving end on a number of occasions. As well as this, it's almost given that the motorist will be "protected" if the *** hits the fan; reasons are very quick to come to suggest that it was the cyclist's own fault that she lost her life, pretty ridiculous to be fair. :sad:

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
This could become another instance of an investigator/teacher/celebrity... who knows nothing about cycling giving his/her opinion on the matter and then starting an urban myth about cycle safety. I don't want to start another helmet debate, but we have seen that before somewhere. I can see in a few years time reports of accidents like bearing the comment Mr/Ms X, who was riding a fixie at the time ....

The report refers to police evidence of 'a fixed gear bike' and the officer's speculation that she might have accelerated faster on a geared bike.

Not clear to me whether the bike was fixed wheel or just single speed with a free-wheel.

albion

Guru
Who would have known that if you are slow off the mark for any reason (like fallen off chain, chain jump etc etc), you might die?

Why on earth are these vehicles legal?
Surely this is corporate manslaughter? Beggars belief.

Top Bottom