DIY Cyclist Advocacy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
How do you educate the general public on cycling issues?

My general approach is to write as many letters to our main and local newspapers as I can. For a while now, I've been sending a letter regarding the real sources of road funding to our main two newspapers for the state of Victoria: The Herald Sun and The Age. I haven't had it published yet, which is a pity, because I'm pretty fed up with the general public claiming that cyclists are freeloaders contributing nothing to road construction and maintenance, and that we're also scofflaws.

Although I could also discuss these with family, friends, and work colleagues, I've been reluctant to do that, particularly with work colleagues, because this can alienate the latter.

So if you have any ideas on how I can do my small bit to tell the general public that cyclists are generally law-abiding people who contribute as much to the roads as motorists, and have equal right to use these roads, then please let me know :smile:.

Regards,

--- Victor.

Drago

Legendary Member
Get yourself invited on the radio for a chat.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why should talking about it at work alienate you. I got told the 18 miles I wanted(and shortly started) to do, each way wasn't possible. I pointed out the fact that I'd ridden elsewhere and with little or no trouble.
It was faster, a means of exercise. One that meant I was actually at less chance of "pulling a sickie"/calling in sick.

As Drago says, try the radio. If not actually on the radio yourself, get a debate going on a phone in show.

classic33

Leg End Member
If you think we alone have it bad, see http://www.cycle.org.au/
Bikes.jpg

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Victor, I have been doing the same for the past few years. I've lost count of the letters to newspapers, magazines and other print I've written, many printed too. I've written to councils and government to suggest improvements and detail trouble areas. I've joined so many forums over the years just to promote what riding can bring as well as educate.

One of the shocking things I found was that when I went on twitter I'd say "here is a letter I wrote" and others would join in and write their own. I find that quite inspiring. If that's one thing you can do its rally others into spreading the same message.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Be a multiplier like @downfader Ride your bike a lot and try to inspire at least one new person a year to get on their bikes.

But no guarantee you/we educate anyone; a lot of the time our responses just confirm other people's existing prejudices about cyclists and cycling. They need a bogeyman/scapegoat/hate figure in their lives and it's us.

Top Bottom