Dizzy after standing up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dudi

For a while now i've been suffering from short spells of dizziness, after standing up. quite bad ones sometimes, they affect my vision in some cases.
My health is generally really good, got my blood pressure and stuff checked not so long ago and I was spot on. got a resting heart rate of around 55bpm.
My wife has been trying to figure out the problem, and she reckons it happens most after a long ride. given that the obvious causes of "headswim" is low blood pressure, could this be caused by sweating out a lot of salt?
Has anyone else experienced this? it's not a life-threatening problem (as far as i'm aware) just a bit annoying. and if there's something I could try to fix it... that would be good.

I get this too, particulary after a hard ride. Sometimes I have to hold onto something for a few seconds until it passes.

Low blood pressure is frequently cited as a cause. My brother suffers too; we're both 6'3''. Wonder if height is a factor (other than the fact that my head travels further when I stand up)

OP
OP
dudi

dudi

could be... i'm just of 6'2"...
If i were to inherit any problem for blood pressure it would be high though, as my mum has really high blood pressure.

yenrod

dudi said:
For a while now i've been suffering from short spells of dizziness, after standing up. quite bad ones sometimes, they affect my vision in some cases.
My health is generally really good, got my blood pressure and stuff checked not so long ago and I was spot on. got a resting heart rate of around 55bpm.
My wife has been trying to figure out the problem, and she reckons it happens most after a long ride. given that the obvious causes of "headswim" is low blood pressure, could this be caused by sweating out a lot of salt?
Has anyone else experienced this? it's not a life-threatening problem (as far as i'm aware) just a bit annoying. and if there's something I could try to fix it... that would be good.

I feel you've answered this yourself !

Take it easy after a ride - I know i try as much.

Smeggers

Same prob here. 6'2" too.

Usually happens when i get up for a pee after being horizontal on the sofa.

col

Legendary Member
Sometimes got this jumping out of bed too quick,started sitting up and staying put for a few seconds,then slowly standing,no problems since.

Carwash

Señor Member
Height is a factor - I'm 6'5" and used to have low blood pressure and suffer from this. It was especially bad first thing in the morning. Once, I got up to go to the bathroom, and managed to hit my head on both the basin and the toilet on my way down. Hurt like hell when I came to!

That was then though... nowadays I have high blood pressure and the sudden rushes of blood away from the head are much less frequent! Not sure which is better. :biggrin:

I'm only 5'9" and I have similar symptoms, for me its usually brought on by standing up from sitting/ lying down too fast.

walker

Height has nothing to do with it.

When you say a good blood pressure, what is good in your eyes?

It sounds to me you are suffereing low blood pressure or Hypertension, Get it checked by your GP as it could be serious.

Greenbank

Über Member
In the absence of a specific medical condition it's quite common in people with low resting heart rates.

If you stand up too quickly it will temporarily reduce the blood flow to your brain.

The lower your heart rate at the time, the longer it takes for blood to be pumped upwards to regulate the blood flow. Even a quarter of second delay is enough to make you feel faint/dizzy or see stars.

The solution, for fit people, is to get up less quickly.

LLB

Height has nothing to do with it.

my BP was 120/70 a couple of weeks ago and I've had dizzy spells from pegging it upstairs after lying down in front of the TV before now.

Danny

Legendary Member
Do you "warm down" properly after a hard ride? If not, this could be contributing to the dizziness

Try cycling round the block a few times at a gentle pace at the end of your ride, or I am sure there are all sorts of my formal warm down exercises you could do.

Top Bottom