Do Cycle Cameras make the road safer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buddfox

Veteran
One thing I did learn (if it is indeed true) is that cycle camera footage is only admissable if on CD with a signed statement from a solicitor that it hasn't been edited.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
They can only really make roads safer if they stop other people doing stupid and dangerous things, which doesn't appear to be in evidence in many of the YouTube videos posted from helmet cams. Of course that isn't exclusive to cycling, motorcycle riders and vehicle drivers all use them too but it doesn't seem to stop idiots behaving like idiots regardless of their mode of transport. I guess you might avoid being assaulted by Mr or Mrs Angry if you point out your camera and tell them you'll report them to the police, but as some videos have shown that doesn't always stop people either.

I think personality can make a difference. There are a few guys on my commute who are very aggressive cyclists and will do anything to avoid giving way, taking off even a fraction of speed, never mind stopping, and I regularly hear one guy shouting at drivers when he is clearly trying his absolute best to "own" the road and get ahead of everyone. Personally, I don't have such problems, and I don't suppose most people on CycleChat will either?

I can see their use in terms of someone crashing into you or causing you harm, but I don't think they teach people much of anything other than there are a whole range of nutters out there to avoid at all costs. ^_^

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
I think personality can make a difference. There are a few guys on my commute who are very aggressive cyclists and will do anything to avoid giving way, taking off even a fraction of speed, never mind stopping, and I regularly hear one guy shouting at drivers when he is clearly trying his absolute best to "own" the road and get ahead of everyone. Personally, I don't have such problems, and I don't suppose most people on CycleChat will either?

Definitely got to pick your battles, yeah. If you yell every time a driver gets something slightly wrong or is a little too close you just end up looking like a very angry person who yells at everyone, and everyone takes no notice. Plus who wants to be angry all the time? I save the reactions for when someone really deserves it or really needs something pointed out to them. And I try to show a little flex too and make things easier for motorists when possible (as long as that doesn't negatively impact on me).

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
The roads aren't any safer, but I would hope that drivers who have been spoken to by the Police about dodgy driving as a result of camera evidence would take more care in future.

One at a time... Mine is running in case of accidents.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I can only speak from experience, I used to ride with small Mobius cam on my my hat which was barely noticeable unless you know what you were looking for still got lots of abuse, switched to a big obvious Go Pro copy (people know what they are, brand awareness) abuse much rarer now, still riding the same way.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I can only speak from experience, I used to ride with small Mobius cam on my my hat which was barely noticeable unless you know what you were looking for still got lots of abuse, switched to a big obvious Go Pro copy (people know what they are, brand awareness) abuse much rarer now, still riding the same way.

I noticed that too, when I had the camera mounted on the handlebar I was more aware of close passes and sometimes verbal drivel from some drivers but with the camera mounted in plain view on helmet drivers tend to spot the camera and be a little more courteous or maybe its just my imagination????

Drago

Legendary Member
Zero utility as a safety or deterrence tool, loads as a weapon of righteous retribution.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think they do but it's very minor. I fitted mine after being the victim of a road rage incident which the police didn't act upon and in something like six years, I've only noticed one motorist stop for a red light that I'm 90% sure they were about to jump (just something about how they approached, based on my experiences with that junction) after they looked straight at the recording indicator light on my camera.

The main reason I keep using it is that it's easier than stopping and getting the phone out every time I want to note something.

Firestorm

Veteran
Is a helmet mounted camera safer for it being a camera or less safe as it can compromise the integrity of the helmet in a fall.
Iirc Shumachers injury was contributed to by the impact of the camera mount.

Top Bottom