Do roads need white lines?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Round here, many drivers seem incapable of negotiating a right-hand bend without wandering over the central white line.

I do wonder how far over they'd be without the line.

That said, I'm not aginn removing lines per se, but needs to be quite selective. But I do suspect the press-on brigade would cut a lot more corners on medium-fast country roads.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think that white lines serve a useful function even in on urban roads where the traffic speeds may be really low. They suggest a position where road users might like to be in order for traffic to flow in some kind of non-chaotic fashion. Would you like the arm rests on aircraft seats to be removed so that the sumo wrestler seated next door to you can use his own judgement about his spacial requirements?

hatler

Guru
My view is that for many drivers the white line in the middle of the road acts as a constraint on how far over they are prepared to go to overtake a cyclist. In addition, many drivers use the line as a datum, and drive a fixed distance from that line (it is the one nearest to them after all). All fine except when the left side of the road approaches the middle, and the cyclist is keeping the regulation 5' from the kerb.

broadway

Veteran
My view is that for many drivers the white line in the middle of the road acts as a constraint on how far over they are prepared to go to overtake a cyclist. In addition, many drivers use the line as a datum, and drive a fixed distance from that line (it is the one nearest to them after all). All fine except when the left side of the road approaches the middle, and the cyclist is keeping the regulation 5' from the kerb.

I was thinking the same thing this morning, there is one left hand bend on my way to work where the road narrows where this is very noticeable. It is an suburban A road with a fairly recent change to 30 from 40.

hatler

Guru
And I should add therefore, that I think that removing the white line would be beneficial in some situations. But yes, test it first and analyse the outcomes, then apply nationwide in those situations where it would be beneficial.

Top Bottom