Do you have a bike specifically dedicated to the turbo trainer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bought mine at the start of the first lockdown thinking I'd be riding it a lot, but in reality there was no problem with outdoor cycling so I've only used it half a dozen times since then. Will probably use this one less than a dozen times this winter so don't need an expensive bike on it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I had a dedicated turbo bike but sold it during prime lockdown for a nice sum. I wish I had not sold it now as it has proved to be a pain cleaning my winter bike each week before it goes back on the turbo. I am too precious to put my posh summer bike on. I can see when supplies of bikes finally get back to normal that I will end up with a new winter bike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No, it's my least expensive of two road bikes, vintage. The only thing it has is a compatible QR - which is an OCD issue for me, but the bike stays in the trainer for storage too. It has Dura Ace QR's, but the drive side end is the Tacx one that's black, and not DA 7400 quality. It helps with secure storage though. I still use normal tyres too.

Gunk

Guru
I built one up about a year ago and in it’s current guise is used regularly by all the family, so the effort was worth it.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/parts-bin-shimpagnolo-turbo-trainer-build.267991/

1535E81E-EA5F-428D-B55D-648BC6D0EC17.jpeg

mattobrien

Guru
I solely use my training TT bike on the turbo but in the drier months use it outside. My turbo set up is in the garage and Mrs O won’t use it, she has her set up in what was the dining room with a dedicated turbo bike.
Personally I find having a bike already set up and ready to go, saves faffing around and makes sessions a little quicker and easier.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Get a second turbo or something like Watt bike Atom?
That’s exactly what my wife and I did. Initially we each had our road bike in our own turbo trainer, then we got a Wattbike Atom that we share. It’s easy enough for each of us to replicate the geometry of our respective road bikes on the Atom and our road bikes now remain available for riding throughout winter whenever the weather permits.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have got so fed up with taking a bike on and off the turbo, plus having to clean it constantly that I have just solved the problem in a spectacular way. I just ordered a Tacx Smart Bike, luckily I get a good discount.

Over winter my TT bike is my Turbo bike.

Top Bottom