Do you legally need two brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Do bikes have to have two brakes by law? An internet trader is selling new Dutch-style bikes in the UK. They don't have a front brake, they've just got a coaster one on the rear.

D

Deleted member 1258

Yes, you can legally ride fixed with a front brake only as the fixed wheel counts as a second brake, if the bike has a freewheel then as I understand it you need two brakes, I wouldn't want to ride in todays traffic with only a coaster brake.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Do bikes have to have two brakes by law? An internet trader is selling new Dutch-style bikes in the UK. They don't have a front brake, they've just got a coaster one on the rear.

Difficult one to answer.

RTA says yes ( Fixies excepted)
BS standards for bikes says yes.
Single Market says if it meets the relevant standards in one EU country it's OK in another.

D

Deleted member 1258

Difficult one to answer.

RTA says yes ( Fixies excepted)
BS standards for bikes says yes.
Single Market says if it meets the relevant standards in one EU country it's OK in another.

Is this going to be one of those things where Europe overrides our laws?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Is this going to be one of those things where Europe overrides our laws?
For selling, yes. BUT when a vehicle is used on the road, it must adhere to our laws. As such a bicycle must have two braking systems, one applied to each wheel, when used on british roads.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Are we sure it isn't a hub brake upfront. Even in the Netherlands they need to stop from time to time, and without a front brake then in traffic that can be tricky.

oldroadman

Veteran
Construction and Use laws. Two brakes required, front and rear, on a bike with freewheel. Simple.
Try telling a court that euro law applies to UK legislation when vehicles are involved. Wait for smiles, and the fine.

tyred

Legendary Member
Construction and Use laws. Two brakes required, front and rear, on a bike with freewheel. Simple.
Try telling a court that euro law applies to UK legislation when vehicles are involved. Wait for smiles, and the fine.

Just suppose I was a Dutchman on holiday in the UK with my coaster brake equipped Batavus with no front brake. Could I be prosecuted for riding without a front brake even though my bike meets the requirements at home in another EU country?

As an aside, I do own an old Batavus roadster with a coaster brake. It has been fitted with a Weinmann front caliper brake which is virtually useless as the rim doesn't have a proper braking surface. It probably complies with the law but to all intents and purposes, it may as well not have a front brake.

Just suppose I was a Dutchman on holiday in the UK with my coaster brake equipped Batavus with no front brake. Could I be prosecuted for riding without a front brake even though my bike meets the requirements at home in another EU country?

Yes.

You could also be considered for prosecution for riding on the right hand side of the road, which would be perfectly acceptable back in Holland! As the old saying goes, 'When in Rome...'

oldroadman

Veteran
Possibly, in the same way that in France you can be nicked for not having a fluo jacket or bulb kit in the car, or in Germany for not having spare specs if you need them for driving. Courts can be funny places!

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Some BMXs do not have any brakes, and track bikes only have the fixed wheel acting as a brake. I suppose these are not legal to drive on our roads, but I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for it. I am not sure whether the two braking systems have to be on separate wheels neither. I notice road tricycles often have two sets of brakes installed on the front wheel.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Some BMXs do not have any brakes, and track bikes only have the fixed wheel acting as a brake. I suppose these are not legal to drive on our roads, but I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for it. I am not sure whether the two braking systems have to be on separate wheels neither. I notice road tricycles often have two sets of brakes installed on the front wheel.
It has to be two independent wheels. As such a tricycle which has one brake on each of the front wheels which are both operated by a separate brake leaver would be perfectly legal.

Top Bottom