Does anyone have an open fire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mile195

Veteran
so last Wednesday I just had a fire surround and hearth installed and the chimney in my 1930s house put back into service. It would originally have been an open fire prior to its becoming disused by the previous tenant who had an electric fire with a "coal effect".

However, despite it being installed and the chimney cleaned by a HETAS approved engineer, we keep getting occasional puffs of smoke coming back into the room.

The weather tonight and yesterday is particularly rubbish, and wind gusts at 50mph plus.

My question is, is that normal when the wind is bad, or should I be phoning the installer first thing Monday to ask what he's done wrong?

Thanks in advance all!

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Is your house sufficiently ventilated to supply the fire with the air it needs?

Dave7

Legendary Member
We have, over the years, had 2 open fires and don't remember any problem similar to yours. The problems we had with the last one was affording the fuel :sad:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I visit many houses in small villages and hamlets up and down the county. When you get to the front gate you can tell immediately if someone has an open fire by the smell and on going inside my I can feel the fumes in my eyes and nostrils. Not something I would consider these days.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Doesn't sound right. Could you say you're having problems and invite the installer back to help see if you're doing anything wrong? Then if there's a problem, they'll be there to get smoked :smile:

(I could be wrong. We have a closed multifuel burner, not an open fire, but we had one when I was very little and some relatives still have them.)

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Has the stack height been reduced? My mum had a problem with smoke coming back into the room after a bodger builder redid her open fire without checking that the chimney was the right height. Got someone else out who spotted the problem - mum's chimney was about 5 feet lower than others around, so he built it back up, and no problems since.

Have a look here for regs.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
We have an open fire and yes you can get the occasional puff - however they are very much reduced if you get one of these:

http://www.fluesystems.com/shop/Chimney_Cowls_Static_Anti_Downdraught.html

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I have an open fire and got what you describe. I had fitted one of those things which fit on top of the chimney (sorry don't know what they're called) and which turn in the wind. When you start the fire it draws up the air and gets it going. Since this was fitted no problem with smoke blowing into the room. I can take a photo of mine if you like.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
We have always had an open fire. Although we don't light it all the time, I do recognise the symptoms you are describing there. Ours does it if the wind comes from a certain direction but only if it is above a certain strength. It either seems to go well (most of the time) but occasionally it is a bit of a dog. We have let it go out and put an extra jumper on.

Depending on your house layout a rapidly opened or closed door could also cause it to puff smoke.

I think the bit @Tail End Charlie is thinking of is a cowl.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It could be any of the reasons above, or possibly a newer, taller building adjacent. As Tail End Charlie suggests, a clever chimney pot might help.

Top Bottom