Does refitting a rear wheel slacken the chain...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
col said:
If you were happy with the one you have,just count the teeth on the largest and smallest spocket and get the same,the higher the number the longer the pedal stroke,so the quicker you go without spinning out,if thats a problem you have had?
Gotya. I was happy with the old cassette so will get a new one with same number of teeth. Cheers.

col

Legendary Member
You will have noticed the mtb ones have less teeth,or lower number,this is to help get up very steep bits,by making it supposedly easier to pedal,or a shorter pedal stroke,so in the lowest gear,your feet could be a blur almost,but your hardly moving,but road bikes generally dont need that sort of gear.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
fossyant said:
Yep - all Hyperglide - just make sure you get a shimano for your bike !
I checked the old cassette on my bike and it's a 9 spd 12-26...Can't seem to find one like this made by Shimano for love nor money (from what I can see, they do either 12-25 or 12-27).

What I did find was this SRAM one - will it do?

domtyler

Über Member
col said:
You will have noticed the mtb ones have less teeth,or lower number,this is to help get up very steep bits,by making it supposedly easier to pedal,or a shorter pedal stroke,so in the lowest gear,your feet could be a blur almost,but your hardly moving,but road bikes generally dont need that sort of gear.

Er, are you sure you've got this the right way round col?

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
fossyant said:
12 - 25 will do the job fine, so will 12 -27
Cheers.
I guess I need a 9 speed chain, right? (here's me thinking a chain is a chain is a chain).
This one has a power-link...is that the same as the 'super-link' that you mentioned in one of your previous posts? So you can take the chain off for cleaning purposes?

col

Legendary Member
domtyler said:
Er, are you sure you've got this the right way round col?

Er mmm not sure now?i mean the largest on the back,and the smallest on the front;)

U

User482

I've broken one SRAM chain in about 12 years - that's pretty good I reckon.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Excellent info. I'm ready to order the parts now.
I'll be back on this thread with a progress report (or lack of it). Cheers.

giant man

Jesus how f*****g tight are these locknuts on the cassette? I have tried and tried and don't consider myself a weakling but it won't budge. Anyone have any tips to shift the buggar?

giant man

Well this one hasn't been off the bike in seven years, is it possible it could have rusted on or something? Do they do that? WD40 has been used of course but going to have another go today thanks

Top Bottom