Does your workplace have a problem with sickies?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Where I work there are two types:
1. Workshops - Say you've got a bad back, but make sure you are always in work one day before you are due to go onto half pay.
2. Offices - Call in Mondays or Fridays when working a full week just feels like too much bother.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm on long term sick (fractured spine) and prior to that had a serious pain issue, but, I always went in and only occasionally did I not make it - it was all above board and had been reviewed by occupational health.

We do have a few folk that take the mickey and bugger off sick when they have been asked to do something they don't want to do !

OP
OP
Smurfy

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
We do have a few folk that take the mickey and bugger off sick when they have been asked to do something they don't want to do !
Had one of those where I used to work. Their workload varied quite a lot during the year, and when they were most needed they were never there! When it keeps happening year after year it starts to get a bit obvious.

subaqua

What’s the point
Funny how that works. Me either.

yeah funny that i am not self employed and havent been off ill for years either. well since late 2013/early 2014 when i knew i had my new post. maybe because i like my job i am not swinging the lead.

it generally hits me when i am on leave when i am ill.

what annoys me is the germ ridden lot that come in and spread it round rather than staying off until they are clear.

Nope. Annual medicals for all, including a bit of a jog on a treadmill while wired up. A valid medical is a requirement to join a boat. Quite rare for anyone to be ill enough to actually have to stop working whilst onboard too, but that maybe as the crews don't really come into contact with anyone once onboard.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Last time I had a day off sick (couple of years ago) I had a hospital appointment/op, and I was back in work the following day despite having had anaesthetic - though I remember being overly emotional and bursting into tears for what seemed like a silly reason (boss was very very nice to me and offered to send me back home again, and then got me a drink and something to eat when I wanted to stay).

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
what annoys me is the germ ridden lot that come in and spread it round rather than staying off until they are clear.

Yeah - that used to drive me nuts when I worked in an office. "Look at me, I'm sooooo important. *sniff* *cough*. And look how I suffer for the good of the firm. *sniff*." "Oh piss off and come back when you're well." They never did though - martyrs to the end. Muppets.

Freds Dad

Veteran
Our sickness policy says two episodes of sickness in a rolling 12 month period. An episode of sick can be anything from 1 day to 6 months so if someone feels unwell they invariably take at least a week when they perhaps need a couple of days off.
Our biggest causes of sickness absence are stress but we are not allowed to ask the cause, and muscular skeletal which can range from minor joint pain to major surgery.

Sara_H

Guru
Our sickness policy says two episodes of sickness in a rolling 12 month period. An episode of sick can be anything from 1 day to 6 months so if someone feels unwell they invariably take at least a week when they perhaps need a couple of days off.
Our biggest causes of sickness absence are stress but we are not allowed to ask the cause, and muscular skeletal which can range from minor joint pain to major surgery.
Our employers had a problematic sickness policy that meant that people like me who were part time nurses on long shifts (of which there were many being a hospital) could only have two days off sick per year before it triggered the absence management disciplinary procedure.
They changed it a few years back, but not before many people had been threatened with dismissal for having as little as four days off in a two year period, and the trust had spent a fortune on the expensive sickness absence management meetings that had to be attended by managers, senior HR reps and union reps and also on expensive unnecessary referrals to occupational health. At one point the majority of the part time nurses in my department were somewhere on the disciplinary continuum.
We now have a legacy of people too scared to take time off work when they're ill, which means yes, they come to work and infect everyone els, patients included.

Last edited:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
When I worked in the steel trade it was quite common for some of my work colleagues to take their thirteen weeks sick leave annually, they knew how to work the system and always had sick notes etc, i reckon they were on good terms with their local gp, probably shared the same local boozer or something.

Top Bottom