Dog attack.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A postman was always been bothered by a dog, so his mate told him to carry a pepper pot and when the dog came at him to shake the pepper over the dog, so the postie borrowed a pepper pot from the canteen and when he got got he was asked how it had worked and could the canteen have the pot back? Well it had worked all right but what had happened was that when the dog came at him the postie forgott about sprinkling the pepper and instead threw the pot at the dog hitting it right on the nose , the dog turned around and fled but the pepper pot broke.

OP
OP
sittingbull

sittingbull

Veteran
I remember one particular 'orrible dog that rushed us as we put the door in.
I found out today that the dog's owner has (allegedly) had to replace his front door several times........

Cubist

Still wavin'
http://www.vonwolf.co.uk/shop/product.php/10

They seem to sell it individually with no restrictions? I haven't tried the full purchase, as don't want any but went up o the point of payment on their website without too many problems.

I would find it strange if the sale is restricted to official capacities only, as it's nothing illegal - and Cubist said earlier, spray it at a human and it's vaguely pleasant!

I've seen it used once effectively, aiding a quick escape from the compound that a 'dangerous dog' was in, allowing the officers to kit up with snaffles etc to go back and get it.
Good find. I read a lot of threads from folk genuinely worried about dog attack, so that would be £17.50 well spent I'd imagine.

I can never resist a funny cop anecdote. Personnel carriers are often an environment for silliness, and a mate of mine was telling the boys and girls in the van how nice Biteback is, and how it's harmless to humans. Someone expressed doubt and so my mate volunteered to show them how being sprayed in the face was quite a benign experience. The lad holding the Biteback took him at his word and sprayed directly into his eyes from about a foot away. Paul tells me it was absolute agony for about an hour afterwards.

OP
OP
sittingbull

sittingbull

Veteran
Well, after 2 1/2 months since my friend's lower leg was re-arranged by the dog, he's still having his dressings changed but is only using one crutch to walk :smile:

Today I saw him out on his bike :wahhey:He was going very gingerley (less than 5 mph), it was only his 3rd ride but it's a "step" in the right direction.

RWright

Guru
Good to hear he is out riding again but terrible what happened to him.

I had a pit bull come running across its yard after me one day. I got off my bike and kept the bike between myself and the dog on the opposite side of the road. The dog was barking and causing a fuss but the look in its eyes did not really make me fear for my life. It looked more like a dog that had been penned up for a while and was out and didn't really know what else to do. I did not feel a real sense of panic.

A girl (a cashier I recognized from my local grocery store) that had just passed by me in her SUV, saw what was happening, backed up and asked if I wanted her to stay between the dog and myself until I could get away. We did that until I got to a corner and could take off down a hill. The dog didn't come after me when she was moving her truck between us. Now every time I see her in the grocery store I thank her for saving my life. ^_^

I have not picked up any pepper spray yet but it is next item on the list. Pepper spray is legal here, works on humans too.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Might be an urban myth, but I do recall being told, that pulling a dogs front legs apart can do them serious physical harm. Fortunately I have never been in the situation where I would need to test it.

I'm sure I saw something like that in a 1970's action movie - possibly James Bond.

Dajoker188

I have had problems with dog owners in the past. Some seem to have no consideration for the general public when out with their dogs. My last encounter occurred in a local park where a group of elderly dog owners had come together and let 15+ dogs off their leads. The dogs were spread across the park effectively blocking the way to a cycle trail i was heading to, but i had no choice but to press forward whilst keeping my distance. All the dogs immediate ran towards me barking and snarling, i stayed on my bike and moved at a steady pace in order to avoid running one over. The dogs were fairly small but were able land bites to my ankle, but with the exception of a few scratches i was fine because i kept moving and never got off my bike.The irony is if i had sped up and ended up harming one of these dogs then i would be the one in trouble with the police.

I think something has to be done about this if a group of teens were in the same park intimating people then these same elderly dog walkers would probably call the police however since dogs are concerned does this make it OK? The public should be free to use parks and walk ways without fear of dog attacks.

RWright

Guru
I'm sure I saw something like that in a 1970's action movie - possibly James Bond.

I don't think I want to try that. Puts your neck too close to the mouth of a big dog. I think a larger person can try to get their hands around a dogs neck or collar and get on top of them and keep them off their feet, at least I saw that done on tv, for whatever that is worth. I am not sure what is the best way to fight off a dog.

I once in a while read of people in the country getting attacked and killed by a pack of dogs. Would be a tough way to go.

suffolkcindy

Hmm all this macho talk of wrestling dogs is theory. In practise you dont stand a chance once kill mode is activated and if youve ever tried shoving anything up a dogs arse i think youll know it tends to make them more aggressive :smile:
I find (so far) the only escape is to avoid hostilities escalating. Of many different techniques ive used in se asia and europe the only one that worked was shouting and waving my arms about like a big crazy animal :smile: not so useful in cities but paid off in rural cambodia surrounded by feral dogs.
Other cyclists tell me the dog scaring alarms dont work but that stone throwing does.
Big problem and the one reason i wont ride in turkey...

Drago

Legendary Member
The only sure fire way is to disengage and run like ferk, or to kill the dog. Attacking the dog back or expecting itvto wait patiently while you prise it's foreleg apart us unrealistic. Dogs nervous systems don't work like ours - it's not unknown for dogs to be disembowelled and still carry on attacking.

If you don't have a reliable means of killing an attacking dog then clearing off at a rare of knots is the safest bet.

classic33

Leg End Member
Advice given by more than one professional dog handler is to aim for the throat, hitting it as hard as possible. Muscle reflex will mean they have to let go.
Not had cause to try it yet.

Hmm all this macho talk of wrestling dogs is theory. In practise you dont stand a chance once kill mode is activated ...
Big problem and the one reason i wont ride in turkey...
You can fight them off, it is possible, but not easy. I know. Back in february this year I was attacked by a pack of 5 dogs in Turkey... I won - I'm still here and starting to get back out on my bike again. It is possible, and I remember almost every minute detail and I agree, the idea of pulling the dogs legs apart is ludicrous. Why in ***l would I want to get my face and arms any closer to something taht is holding onto my leg and calling me 'prey'?

Well, after 2 1/2 months since my friend's lower leg was re-arranged by the dog, he's still having his dressings changed but is only using one crutch to walk :smile:

Today I saw him out on his bike :wahhey:He was going very gingerley (less than 5 mph), it was only his 3rd ride but it's a "step" in the right direction.

Hi - I've only just come across this thread. It is interesting if a little alarming as to what people think is and is not going to work.

I have had 1st hand experience of a pack of 5 dogs attacking myself and my husband back in February of this year. I was left with +100 stitches, a severed major artery, a severed major vein, a severed major nerve and obvious muscle and skin damage. I was left in no doubt that I was fighting for my life and very little of what people have suggested would have worked. For us, stopping is what got us both bitten on this occasion, but in the vast majority of cases, stopping is the best option.

He is doing better than I did, time wise. I don't know how his wound compares to mine, but it was 14 weeks before I no longer needed dressings on my leg (3 1/2 months) and considered my leg waterproof. Cycling is easier than walking still. I can only really easily walk around 2 miles at the moment (and I used to frequently walk long distance footpaths etc) but yesterday managed at 32 miles bike ride in 2hr 22 mins - an average of around 13.5mph I think. That is almost 8 months on from original incident, details of which can be read here - but warning some of the pictures some people find gory - there's no insides of legs or anything like that, just the stitched outsides... I never spent time in hospital, probably should have had skin grafts, but didn't in the end...

now, it just looks like this, that is my entire left calf from kee to top of boots.... you will need to click on the image to see it larger - I have left it that way on purpose for the squeamish people or those eating at the moment!

IMG_4831.JPG

IMG_4834.JPG

This is the type of dog, complete with spiked colar that attacked us, a Kangal, a full grown adult male weighing around 9-12 stone.

Kangal_dog_with_spikey_collar_Turkey.jpg

Rehab for me started on 7th July when I was able to start cycling again. It has taken since the 7th July to 9th October even to get to the point where I can manage 32 miles again (and I was trying to cycle around the world when it happened.)

Please send him my best wishes. Emma

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I have had problems with dog owners in the past. Some seem to have no consideration for the general public when out with their dogs. My last encounter occurred in a local park where a group of elderly dog owners had come together and let 15+ dogs off their leads. The dogs were spread across the park effectively blocking the way to a cycle trail i was heading to, but i had no choice but to press forward whilst keeping my distance. All the dogs immediate ran towards me barking and snarling, i stayed on my bike and moved at a steady pace in order to avoid running one over. The dogs were fairly small but were able land bites to my ankle, but with the exception of a few scratches i was fine because i kept moving and never got off my bike.The irony is if i had sped up and ended up harming one of these dogs then i would be the one in trouble with the police.

I think something has to be done about this if a group of teens were in the same park intimating people then these same elderly dog walkers would probably call the police however since dogs are concerned does this make it OK? The public should be free to use parks and walk ways without fear of dog attacks.
If you look at the relevant legislation, these dogs were dangerously out of control. It doesn't matter about the size of dogs, or breed. Have a look here

Top Bottom