Donating cycling mags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Have often thought about the local barbers on my route in to work. Thesedays I cut my own hair, shave my head and thats that. When I did used to go I remember the table in the waiting area littered with lads mags. I also remember the Dentists and the GPs tables littered with "caravan news" or some other stupid publication that no one will be interested in.

Nothing wrong with caravans. But why would you read about them in a GP's waiting room..?

So it got me thinking. Cycling isnt seen as normal by young lads, by the people waiting for their BMI tests, etc. Perhaps we should all make an effort to donate those old cycling mags to anywhere with a waiting room such as this. Then, subconsciously, the image of the bike and the activity of cycling will become normalised with conventional everyday behaviour.

But why would anyone read about cycling in a Barbers, I wonder? Perhaps the t*ts will win out regardless. I have to confess even as a committed cyclist that t*ts do it for me everytime. :wacko:

I also saw some outsider art on the telly at the weekend. The geezer "cleaned" dirty surfaces with a pressure washer and made recreations of Van Gogh, etc. Makes you wonder if a load of bicycle shapes could pop up in random roads in much the same way... :tongue:

So. What little things could we do, legal things, to normalise cycling with the general public?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Cycle - in normal clothes occasionally and smile :biggrin: and not behave as if cycling is the answer to the world's woes or that we are all mad lunatics.

blockend

Make bikes really expensive and develop a load of aspirational clothing at obscene prices to divert car heads into thinking bikes are a serious product. Or leave a pile of 1980s Bicycle Action magazines and make them believe fluorescent jerseys and bikes with different sized wheels are a must-have.

snorri

Legendary Member
Just behave normally by cycling to the shops, workplace, sports club, pub, visiting friends etc.etc. and hoping someone else will begin to think, I could do that!

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Make bikes really expensive and develop a load of aspirational clothing at obscene prices to divert car heads into thinking bikes are a serious product. Or leave a pile of 1980s Bicycle Action magazines and make them believe fluorescent jerseys and bikes with different sized wheels are a must-have.

Obviously never seen a top o the range Bianchi. ;)

blockend

Obviously never seen a top o the range Bianchi. ;)

Actually the few city boy types I know who cycle have bought full carbon everything road bikes because Everyone Knows They're The Best. Presumably rim weight replaced 0 - 60 times at the wine bar.

Top Bottom