Double Rainbow?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Given the results at Flanders on Sunday, with Peter Sagan, & Yorkshires very own Lizzie taking the wins, has there previously been a 'double Rainbow podium'?
A (cycling) collegue & myself were pondering this question at work

Did it ever happen with, perhaps, Nicole Cooke, or Marianne Vos??
(can't recall it happening with BB, even after having a good look at her autobiography. last night, when I got home from work)

Mod note: For those who haven't been following the action, this relates to the result of the Ronde van Vlaanderen as discussed in the Spring Classics thread

Last edited by a moderator:
has there previously been a 'double Rainbow podium'?
First time ever, according to Cycling Weekly, this morning

Nicole Cooke won Flanders, whilst in the rainbow though

What are you talking about?
Two World Champions winning male, & female, events of the same race (ie; Tour of Flanders, in this case) on the same day, thus sharing the podium 12932869_10207981486247277_2756152411134512915_n.jpg

Tin Pot

Guru
This is going to sound naive but what is the world championship of cycling? obviously aware of TDF and Olympic stuff and some of the Italian events but...

:blush:

Sharky

Guru
This is going to sound naive but what is the world championship of cycling? obviously aware of TDF and Olympic stuff and some of the Italian events but...

They are just a single day event, once a year and the best person on the day wins. Not connected with any of the other events like the major tours or classics.

They're a bunch of one off races across all cycling disciplines, in a different location each year. If you win you get to wear the rainbow stripes when competing in that event (road race, time trial) for a year.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The significant difference is that it is comprised of national teams, not trade teams, and less successful countries have fewer riders.
It makes Sagan's win even more of an achievement with a team of 2 or 3 only. The Spanish and, to some extent, the Italians help out by squabbling amongst themselves.:whistle:

I stand corrected, but did they both win their own events, at the same meeting?, or is it just a picture to show they were at a meeting?
Please don't get me wrong, but if it shows BB as she won the World title, it's not the same as Lizzie & Sagan, winning 'T o F' as holders of the titles

The Spanish and, to some extent, the Italians help out by squabbling amongst themselves.:whistle:
Business as usual, there, then?

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
I stand corrected, but did they both win their own events, at the same meeting?, or is it just a picture to show they were at a meeting?
Please don't get me wrong, but if it shows BB as she won the World title, it's not the same as Lizzie & Sagan, winning 'T o F' as holders of the titles

Business as usual, there, then?
Beryl Burton won the women's worlds and Graham Webb won the men's amateur worlds - I think on the same day. I remember listening to it on the radio.

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
Two World Champions winning male, & female, events of the same race (ie; Tour of Flanders, in this case) on the same day, thus sharing the podium View attachment 124119

In the picture, I can't see if they are pinching one another? Like "pinch me know so I know that I awake and this wasn't a dream"... Their arms do look like they could be giving each other a pinch. Great photo.

Oh, saw the bigger picture. No Peter has learned his lesson and is not pinching. Looking at their faces though it does seem like she could be pinching his ass.

Top Bottom