Dream Bike or two seperate ones.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ashy

It's my 40th soon and permission has been granted for a new bike. As its my 40th I'm going to treat myself. I like road riding, and also triathlons. At the moment my current bike covers both.

My dilemma is do I go for my dream bike, something like a cervelo s3 and use it for Tri's also. Or do I get a TT/Tri style bike and then get a road bike too. Budget will be around the 4K region. What would 2k on each get me?

All comments and advice appreciated. Would also appreciate some brands and models to look at.

Crandoggler

I'd get an 'aero' bike personally. Not a TT bike.

If you had a couple of grand each way you could get something like a Planet X Exocet 2 and a Canyon or something a bit exotic. Catering for both your needs.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Suppose it depends how seriously you take your triathlons really. But I would blow the lot on a really good aero road bike that can double up - you could get a decent £2k tt bike and a decent £2k road bike, but when will you get an excuse to spend £4k on a single bike again? So yeah, the Aeroad or the Timemachine (or the S3) - either would serve well as excellent road bikes and very good TT bikes with clip-ons.

OP
OP
Ashy

Ashy

Sorry, clicked the wrong area.

See the dilemma I have. If I'm honest I'm swaying towards the Aero Profile option. Hence the Cervelo S3, or the Argon 18 Nitrogen. Can't really justify having a TT rig when I will only race it 3 - 5 times max a year. Plus its quite satisfying going past people on 5k TT bikes on a road bike....not that I'm that quick.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
You've got to go with your heart on this one.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
If you want to go faster when racing then get a TT bike . I wouldn't race my good bike , that's for riding on sunny days .

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
It's a bike its meant to be raced...don't understand the save it for a sunny day mantra. No offence.
None taken , i don't understand why you would buy a bike that isn't specific to the type of racing you are doing . Each to their own .

OP
OP
Ashy

Ashy

None taken , i don't understand why you would buy a bike that isn't specific to the type of racing you are doing . Each to their own .

Completely understand, but if I'm spending about 2k on each can I get a decent frame / model in both. I like the look of Planet X Exocet 2, lot for the money, but would I get a decent specced roadie for this amount??

Top Bottom