Drinks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

L14M

Über Member
Hello

Now I know this has been done to death however i'm after some sound advice. I have 2 bottles, one with Robinsons orange squash in (great taste, kinda hydrating good for morale?), and one with a drink in.
Now I want something to put in the other bottle for longer rides in hotter weather, what do you use? Why? and Thanks for reading
Liam

vickster

Legendary Member
If you like the squash, add a bit of salt. If orange squash isn't a drink what is in the other bottle?!

I mostly use just water, or possibly a pink grapefruit high 5 zero if very hot....and of course skinny latte at cake stops!

Last edited:
OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
If you like the squash, add a bit of salt. If orange squash isn't a drink what is in the it get bottle?!

I mostly use just water, or possibly a pink grapefruit high 5 zero if very hot....and of course skinny latte at cake stops!
Ah ok, Yeah it is a drink i suppose. So is the added stuff in powdered drinks worth the money? Any particularly good for cycling?
Liam

vickster

Legendary Member
Not really no, some just taste a bit better than water. Add the salt if you sweat a lot. How far are you riding? Under 50 miles unless very hot, I just use tap water

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
Ok cool, I assume that you should hydrate more than usual before a ride in the heat too then. thanks for this guys and girls :smile:

ScotiaLass

Guru
I take one sports drink (lite version) and the rest is water.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Sports drinks work, they are good, if you are using them in the context in which they were originally intended, and not later marketed!

There is no way you would get the same amount of energy consumed pre-race without puking as you can by following a strict pre-race schedule regarding food and liquid intake and using such products, however, for simply riding a bike... drink water or whatever juice you like the taste of!

ScotiaLass

Guru
What's the point of a low sugar sports drink?
It still replaces lost salts etc but the lower sugar means I can tolerate drinking it.
I have to watch my sugar intake due to having gestational diabetes in pregnancy. I was told I may require treatment for diabetes when I turned 40, I'm 50 now and by watching my diet have managed to avoid it.