Drugs in other sports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've seen the 'other sports do it too' come up in a number of threads, so I thought people might be interested in this on boxing and drugs from today's Guardian:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/feb/03/lamont-peterson-drugs-boxing.

Interesting that it costs the British board £1,000 per test.

Personally, I'm only passionate about clean cycling. I'm sure the moderators will intervene if this is deemed not relevant.

And on general corruption in sport, there's this:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/04/europol-investigation-football-matchfixing

oldroadman

Veteran
Said it before, wherever there is big money, there is incentive for some to use any means to get at it.
Cycling may be an easy target for WADA, but a look through the UKADA statistics as an example, makes for interesting reading. It's just that a lot of governing bodies don't like their dopers exposed. Image of their sport and all that.

GBC

Veteran
Andy Murray has put his tuppence worth in, not for the first time. I think it has concentrated a few minds that Djokovic's prize money in Australia exceeds the total amount spent by the ITF on doping control in the last year. So far Murray, Djokovic and Federer have all spoken out, but I'm not sure about the leading ladies.

montage

God Almighty
Andy Murray has put his tuppence worth in, not for the first time. I think it has concentrated a few minds that Djokovic's prize money in Australia exceeds the total amount spent by the ITF on doping control in the last year. So far Murray, Djokovic and Federer have all spoken out, but I'm not sure about the leading ladies.

Interesting that Nadal hasn't......

a fair few tennis stars issed the olympics due to injury, if i remember. odd that.

that Murray sure has bulked up though. guess he had to work out a lot to get on top. nice to see him speak out... actually, nice to see him doing something other than whining.

i do remember someone saying that a sign of steroid abuse was a certain lung problem... not that any of the big stars have had serious lung problems, i am sure.

dragon72

Guru
I'd be flabbergasted if drugs weren't rife in Rugby Union. The difference in size and shape between pre-professional era players and those playing now is astounding.

I'd be flabbergasted if drugs weren't rife in Rugby Union. The difference in size and shape between pre-professional era players and those playing now is astounding.

Having the option to train full time, arrange your meals and training sessions for the sport can certainly help.

I expect you might be right though for some individuals working alone rather than an organised team doping schedule. I'd hope not but the potential is there for any sport with a lot to win. I remember being gutted when Jamie Bloem was the first rugby league player who tested positive for steroids many years ago. Being a cycling fan it was galling to see another sport I loved potentially going that way.

raindog

er.....
That's mainly because of the professional era. Instead of training two or three nights a week and playing at the week-end, it's now a full-time job where they're training intensively more or less every day of the week. Doesn't mean steroids aren't used by some players though.
Remember when even international forwards often had big beer guts? Thing of the past now. They're still big and heavy, but they're now honed athletes who can actually run around. Don't think that's drugs, it's just gym work and less sessions down the pub. ^_^

oldroadman

Veteran
That's mainly because of the professional era. Instead of training two or three nights a week and playing at the week-end, it's now a full-time job where they're training intensively more or less every day of the week. Doesn't mean steroids aren't used by some players though.
Remember when even international forwards often had big beer guts? Thing of the past now. They're still big and heavy, but they're now honed athletes who can actually run around. Don't think that's drugs, it's just gym work and less sessions down the pub. ^_^
Almost genetic selection going on, as players have become pro, they lose fat and get more muscle cover from proper training and nutrition. Thus the "hits" get bigger, and you hardly ever see smaller half backs now, as they can be battered out of a match with some heavy tackles from opposing forwards (and 15 stone backs!). I watched France/Italy last weekend, one French forward, listed as being 22 stones (about 140kg), running around and flattening people, and I think, "welcome to the world of genetic exception". Thank goodness I'm not a rugby player, all 70kg of me...:wacko: - and a lot less (about 57-58kg) a while back trying to help leaders win races.

But the rapid increase in size and physical changes does beg the question as to just how many steaks, supplements and weights are being used. I'm also reading a book by Richard Moore "The dirtiest race ever" which is not about our sport, but the 100 metres 1988 Olympic final. 8 finalists, 6 eventually caught doping. And we only recall Ben Johnson. Not our own Linford, of course. Odd that so many sprinters are Jamaican descended, and they do seem very good for a small country. Muct be something in the genes.

thom

____
Odd that so many sprinters are Jamaican descended, and they do seem very good for a small country. Muct be something in the genes.
Genetic, cultural or peds. Michael Johnston was adamant it was not in fact genetic when he made a program last summer aired during the Olympics. He pointed to the importance of sprint track running in Jamaican culture.
Some people think there is a genetic legacy related to the selection of slaves for their physical characteristics.
It was only in reading this article that I realised 1/3 of the Jamaican sprint team from the 2008 Olympics have been sanctioned for doping...

raindog

er.....
But the rapid increase in size and physical changes does beg the question as to just how many steaks, supplements and weights are being used.
All sorts of stories going about of young players told to go and "bulk up" during the summer break, and if they're not up to weight when the new season starts they're out of the team. I think we all know what "bulk up" means. I absolutely love rugby, but I think it's drugs testing is about as feeble as football and tennis.

thom

____
The Today program ran the story too. I guess this will mainly concern both rugby codes and Aussie rules football.
I think most people now suspect doping is more pervasive through a wide variety of sports, where as oldroadman points out there is the financial incentive. It has to be great that Australia is actively trying to address these concerns. Is there a need for a UK commission doing similar ? Rugby would be the obvious possible problem - what about football ? What about drug use to assist in recovery from injury in sports like cricket ? I guess we shall get cues from Australia - I just hope there is appetite to shine light into the other dark parts. A concerted effort would undoubtedly benefit all sports.

davefb

Guru
Genetic, cultural or peds. Michael Johnston was adamant it was not in fact genetic when he made a program last summer aired during the Olympics. He pointed to the importance of sprint track running in Jamaican culture.
Some people think there is a genetic legacy related to the selection of slaves for their physical characteristics.
It was only in reading this article that I realised 1/3 of the Jamaican sprint team from the 2008 Olympics have been sanctioned for doping...
see also long distance runners...

which iirc ends up being not just from the same country, not just from the same area, but some insane stat about the same town...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/apr/06/ethiopian-home-worlds-greatest-runners

of course, that would be a town in an area perfect for long distance running training ;)

Top Bottom