Dun Run lite - Friday, 3 Oct

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
... it's only 113 miles overall
Some of us would drop the 'only' and add an exclamation mark or three. It is close to my limit if head winds and rain join the party. That's just the challenge of doing it. My objective is simply to get there. Well get there before closing time - or what's the point? I hope not to be a burden but pushing too hard when you are shattered is not the Friday way - or giving up IMHO. I really don't like thinking in target time terms. That's Audax territory.

Bottom line is getting back isn't as important as getting there and getting there comfortably. I possibly have a couple of bunk beds in Southwold (plus floors) for anybody who misses their train.

U

User10571

We had 2 successful trips surely? When it was just the 4 of us, we weren't hammering it, and in any event we did have to slow up at the end, as I didn't think the Flora café opened before 10, but the second time round it was more genteel. As it's only 113 miles overall, I'd reckon on a 10:45 - 11 am arrival. I'd allow more than 2 hours to cycle from Dunwich to Ipswich though - isn't it 32 miles or so?
I don't remember a second battery powered version.
Other than the one you and I met up for, in the pouring rain, no one else showed up, we drank the Inn on the Park dry, then you rode home to catch the last train, the fast train to Transcentral Luton and I down to Greenwich etc, on what turned out to be a dry night.
If you are telling me I did a second battery powered run, then I am worried, as I have scant (no) recollection of doing it..

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I don't remember a second battery powered version.
Other than the one you and I met up for, in the pouring rain, no one else showed up, we drank the Inn on the Park dry, then you rode home to catch the last train, the fast train to Transcentral Luton and I down to Greenwich etc, on what turned out to be a dry night.
If you are telling me I did a second battery powered run, then I am worried, as I have scant (no) recollection of doing it..
I think the second one is the one I also missed, last June.....

StuartG

slower but further
Sorry to lose you @User13710 and you make some good points.

It is 10 miles shorter than Southwold which takes 14+ hours. Losing some stops still puts it in the 12 hour league unless you are going considerably faster than Friday pace. Some of us would find that very difficult and unenjoyable. Why the rush on such a long ride?

Last edited:
OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Sorry to hear that, @User13710 . I'm sure you can do it.

Sorry to lose you @User13710 and you make some good points.

It is 10 miles shorter than Southwold which takes 14+ hours. Losing some stops still puts it in the 12 hour league unless you are going considerably faster than Friday pace. Some of us would find that very difficult and unenjoyable. Why the rush on such a long ride?

Don't panic! There is no rush at all., apart from the fact that most people have pre-booked tickets for the 14:47 train from Diss. You can't compare the Dun Run route at all with Southwold, which - as you pointed out, is 10 miles longer and we lose considerable time on the three ferries. 11 hours from Hackney to Dunwich means we'll be riding FNRttC speed. And if we need 12 hours to the coast, we need 12 hours. In that case, people who are riding on to Diss for the 14:47 train may decide to carry on after just a short stop at Dunwich.

My idea is to keep the group together FNRttC-ish between Hackney and Dunwich, afterwards people have to sort out their own route.

Last edited:

StuartG

slower but further
The issue @User13710 made was that the time "lost" is in fact valuable recovery time. Without which the danger of bonking increases and fatigued legs go slower not faster.

A strong sou'wester pushing us into Dunwich by 10am would make no one happier than me. Alternatively unhelpful weather and fairy visits encouraging people to concentrate on watches more than the folks behind is potentially divisive. Would it be too presumptuous to suggest those train times are short on contingency and it would be prudent to plan around that in case we end up a bit slow.

It isn't as if Dunwich is not a great place to enjoy any unused contingency. Besides the Ship (which is also a substantial half decent restaurant), there is a free interesting museum and the leper hospital in the grounds of the church is worth a photo shoot.

If the ride is anything at all as @User13710 is reading it to be, then I'm out too.
But... that is not at all what my understanding has been from the beginning. I am now thoroughly confused. :wacko:

Good thing I bought Adam Plan B train tickets in case I don't go (as he'd bought Two Together ones first). I'd be very disappointed to miss this, as I've been working towards it ("training", if you will) all summer. But then my knees have been saying something altogether different the past few weeks and they may get the final say, anyway - in which, I'll see you all next year, I hope. :hello:

Just to add - I thought this was, as in @redfalo's original post, to be in the Stylee of previous @Flying Dodo editions. @wanda2010 and I did that last year and the pace, breaks, etc was spot-on. I only had to to bail due to another Brooks-induced torture session. (Yes, I've learned my lesson.)

StuartG

slower but further
@velovoice & @wanda2010 & @User13710 please don't bail before the start if only 'cos it may make things harder for me! (I don't have a choice on bailing!)

I'm sure we can work things out as long as our fears are understood. Whether we all hang in together all the way or team slow starts first or finishes last is tactical. It is just up to us as a group rather than railway timetables to decide.

Last edited:
@velovoice & @wanda2010 & @User13710 please don't bail before the start if only 'cos it may make things harder for me! (I don't have a choice on bailing!)
I'm not really worried - we know @redfalo and @Flying Dodo and any other members of Team Not-At-All-Slow, and they know us and I know they'll look after us.
It is just up to us as a group rather than railway timetables to decide.
Errrr, most of us (that have bought tickets in advance) are booked on specific timed services. Miss them and you have to buy new tickets all over again, at vastly inflated on-the-day prices.

AlexB

Veteran
I've ridden the DunRun maybe 10 times. I haven't booked tickets yet and am thinking of booking a much later train for the return. On that basis, I am tempted to start the ride with the group and allow you to ride away from me and my friend if you feel the need.
I'm very self sufficient, so if we have problems I'm pretty comfortable I can deal with it without holding up the group.
That said, I didn't want to introduce a division in this group.

Last edited:
OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
I've ridden the DunRun maybe 10 times. I haven't booked tickets yet and am thinking of booking a much later train for the return. On that basis, I am tempted to start the ride with the group and allow you to ride away from me and my friend if you feel the need.
I'm very self sufficient, so if we have problems I'm pretty comfortable I can deal with it without holding up the group.
That said, I didn't want to introduce axduvision in this group.

Alex, this is going to be a group ride in the very Fridays spirit: no one left behind, waymarker, tail end charlies and that sort of thing. Nobody will stop you if YOU feel the need to bail, but only if everyone has the feeling that it's safe and sound to do so. The flip side of this principle is that people who start the ride with the group are expected to stick with it to the very end, unless unexpected circumstances prevent that an the TEC's know about it.

Top Bottom