Dunwich Dynamo 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I am planning my first there and back this year, so will be dropping the car off at Dunwich on Saturday morning and cycling to London Fields and then cycling to Dunwich, a mere 225 miles...

Might take a camp bed with me for a more comfy snooze on the beach afterwards.

Why bother with the car Mat and the extra faffing on Saturday ? Ride straight down from Ipswich and back home afters and it is the same distance

Just noticed that it's BHF London-Southend the next day and am now wondering how to combine the two somehow... anyone tried this? :smile:
It (was) 'common' to do a 'back to back' if the Dynamo coincided with a Saturday Morning Ride to the Coast. I did Feltham, London, Brighton, Feltham - for a couple of hours kip in the dog basket - London Fields, Dunwich*, choo-choo to London and Feltham again once. Sure, it's tiring but it's fun. London to Southend is a 'relaxed ride' even if you were thrashing it. Only you will know your capabilities - and it will mean an early finish to the Dynamo to get back by 9am or so on the Sunday - probably beyond National Rail capabilities.
*It was the Dynamo where 4F and SteveVW "the Catering King" took a short cut to the beach, where Sitting Duck was cajoled into doing his first hundred even though his feet hurt, and Tynan swept the roads clear of gravel, using his thigh as a broom. Heady days - there might be a thread somewhere

Reactions: 4F
You joining us this year 'Teef?
Hello Ross - been eliminating gout for about 18 months or so, which has seriously affected my bicycles, and I therefore am unlikely, but we'll see, as it is a nice easy ride and a 'there and back' would be interesting.. Out of the shadows and usual commuting on fixed now, but suffering patellar tendinitis (again) which is mega-painful and to be avoided at all costs! :ohmy::rolleyes: Safest place is on the bike - walking hurts.

4F

*It was the Dynamo where 4F and SteveVW "the Catering King" took a short cut to the beach, where Sitting Duck was cajoled into doing his first hundred even though his feet hurt, and Tynan swept the roads clear of gravel, using his thigh as a broom. Heady days - there might be a thread somewhere

How very dare you teef ! I presume you are referring to the Dynamo that Steve and I finished earlier than Tynan and young Will despite having a slower average speed, I believe Tynan is still trying to work that one out

Indeed it was an epic year and the Duckmeister has come on leaps and bounds since then.

Last edited:

Brains

Legendary Member
I see that this year the traditional half way stop at Sible Hedingham Church Hall has been closed down by the local petrolhead, Ferg Raison, who got on his high horse after the DD 2015.

So take food and tea as the first real stop will be Sudbury Fire Station, they were struggling with demand last year, I'd guess they may be overwhelmed this year.
Still a massive fund raiser for the Fire Brigade (and a massive loss for the Sible Hedingham Church)

Brains

Legendary Member
Last year someone put together a good crowd sourced route map with all the local 'attractions' such as where you can get a bike repaired at 2am, where to get a bacon butty, where to find a vegetarian yurt and most importantly, the turnings not to miss.

Anyone have a link ?

leyton condor

Veteran
9 weeks to go. Can't wait.
This really is a fantastic ride.
I will miss the halfway stop as it was nice to sit on something wider than your a*$e after 50+ miles and have a bit of a rest, but hey ho I'm sure something else will materialise along the way.
The first time I did the ride in 2009 there was only the official stop, since then quite a few more have popped up so I'm sure (I hope) the trend will continue.
Let's hope for some nice warm weather and a tail wind.

4F

9 weeks to go. Can't wait.
This really is a fantastic ride.
I will miss the halfway stop as it was nice to sit on something wider than your a*$e after 50+ miles and have a bit of a rest, but hey ho I'm sure something else will materialise along the way.
The first time I did the ride in 2009 there was only the official stop, since then quite a few more have popped up so I'm sure (I hope) the trend will continue.
Let's hope for some nice warm weather and a tail wind.

Hi Leyton, I gave up on the 1/2 way stop years ago due to the queues. Sudbury fire station are doing a BBQ again this year however my favourite stop is Gosbeck for a bacon roll but there are plenty of others

mattobrien

Guru
The Sudbury fire station was excellent last year and Gosbeck stop is always welcome.

Never seen a shortage of options for stopping after half way, probably every 10 miles if you were so inclined.

After 240 miles last week my legs are feeling surprisingly strong so I am feeling confident about the double dun run. Bring it on.

leyton condor

Veteran
Hi Leyton, I gave up on the 1/2 way stop years ago due to the queues. Sudbury fire station are doing a BBQ again this year however my favourite stop is Gosbeck for a bacon roll but there are plenty of others

I think you mentioned the Gosbeck stop the first time it opened and it is definitely an important stop for me. Bacon roll and a tea, a rest in the yurt while knowing the major part of the ride has been done but a good enough portion remains to look forward to. We normally arrive there around dawn.
One year some tired chap walked into the field opposite for a pee without noticing the ditch, surreal comedy moment.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I didn't bother with the Sible Hedingham stop either. Too much confusion with riders aiming up and down the roads not knowing which way the butties were.
The fire station stop, however, was relatively quiet and the fire crews running it were really friendly and up for raising funds for their water squirting enterprise and intend cashing in again this year from what they were saying. Good luck to them!

Correct me if I'm wrong folks, but wasn't it here that the LBS was open for business? I didn't need anything myself, but there were quite a few riders in the shop for bits and bobs.

Top Bottom