Dutchy from Bristol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LordGrover

Regular
When I say Dutch, I'm considering buying a Dutch BIke. Still umming and ahhing over precisely what I want but feel like a kid the week before christmas at the moment. Exciting.
Will be touting for advice from anyone with knowledge of our continental cousins machinery.

Hello all.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:

OP
OP
LordGrover

LordGrover

Regular
Thanks all and Ganymede in particular - not seen that. Should be useful. :thumbsup:

For better or worse, I've decided that everyone on this isle is wrong and the cloggies have it right. After much research and absolutely zero experience I'm going for a Dutch bike, just in time for the bad weather - what better way to introduce oneself to the delights of cycling for transport?
If you're not familiar with the rationale behind the Dutch Bike thing, a brief read here may help: Be Dutch!

Anyway - does anyone here have any experience or knowledge of Dutch bikes please?

I'm keen to be as maintenance free as possible while still being reliable and comfortable. Pretty much all the models I'm interested in have front and rear roller brakes, dynamo hubs & lights, mudguards, chain and skirt guards, luggage racks, kick stands, locks, pedals, etc so all bases are covered.

I've narrowed my choices to:

ImageGen.ashx

Cortina U1 (3 speed)

Batavus-Rumba-Male-Black-670x420.jpg

Batavus Rumba

OrangeC7_H.ashx

Gazelle Orange C7

ChamonixC7_H.ashx

Gazelle Chamonix C7

Ganymede

Veteran
Ooh, nice. I didn't realise they made those very modern-looking Dutch bikes - I've always assumed they looked pretty vintage, but that Gazelle is very funky. THe handlebars are a bit straight though, aren't they. I think part of the point of Dutch bikes is to have your wrists in a more natural position, and it's one of the problems I have with my straight-barred hybrid, I always feel I should have my thumbs pointing forward, if you know what I mean.

Yorksman

Is it the upright sitting position that you like about dutch bikes or is it the traditional styling, ie the facility to add shopping baskets etc?

Most bikes in the UK are road racing bikes or mountain bikes, both of which lean you forward. Racing bikes especially, for aerodynamic reasons. On the continent however, drop handlebars are few and far between. There are a lot of mountain bikes but mostly these tend to lack all the drilled holes in the frame for mudguards, panniers, lights etc. The city or touring bikes have them and many more extras. You'll hardly find one without a bike stand for example.

The extra tough touring bikes like those from Koga are expensive and models like their World Traveller come with mobile phone chargers built in. But these bikes are for people who will be cycling where there are no hotels. At my age, I have no intention of that sort of touring so I settled on a more reasonably priced model, an S'cape HB7 from Decathlon in Belgium:

zoom_400PX_asset_78429657.jpg

I got that for a very good price, £500, which considering it has Deore XT gears is a bargain. It has butterfly handlbars but it would be easy to add those dutch ape hanger type bars that you see at dutch bike bits. All the same, this bike will take all the traditional baskets if that what you are after, like this one which clips onto the rear pannier bracket:

classic_400PX_mediacom_489439726.jpg

If it is an upright touring style that you like, an abolsute bargain is the Radon with Rohloff gears from www.bike-discount.de whereas if it is the tradtional look that you are after, they tend to come in 'old fashioned' http://www.dutchie.co.uk/dutch-bikes/

and modern with traditional look:
HIGHLANDERZWART2.jpg

http://www.dutchbike.co.uk

Royal Dutch Gazelle make a range which can be purchased in the UK but if you scour the internet or if you are prepared to go as a foot passenger on the ferry and buy one on the continent, you will have a wide range and probably get one cheaper.

http://www.decathlon.be/C-409900-velo-de-ville

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Welcome to the forum :welcome: . Like scotialass i can't help with the bike either, but good luck, and photos when you get what you want will be a must.

Yorksman

I see you already discovered the Gazelles. I saw a lot of that make in Belgium. I like things like shimano gears and normal brakes because they are easy to get fixed and or serviced, but otherwise all the bits like hub dynamo, kick stands and all the bits and pieces are very useful. I know a german woman who has a 40 year old german bike with one of those hub brakes which you pedal backwards to engage, the rear wheel brake, front is normal, and no one in the UK could fix it. She took the wheel on a lufthansa flight to Germany where they simply cleaned it and told her not to wait 40 years between services.

They are the right sort of bikes for relaxed rides though:

image5.jpg

Last edited:

Ganymede

Veteran
if you are prepared to go as a foot passenger on the ferry and buy one on the continent, you will have a wide range and probably get one cheaper.

Now that is an interesting thought... I've often walked into bike shops in the UK and felt that everything was geared to racing or kid's bikes (or maybe Brommies!). I wonder what French bike shops are like though - I speak good French and visit often in the winter but I bet they are a bit racing-fixated too.

OP
OP
LordGrover

LordGrover

Regular
Thanks yorksman, stuff to ponder.

Ooh, nice. I didn't realise they made those very modern-looking Dutch bikes - I've always assumed they looked pretty vintage, but that Gazelle is very funky. THe handlebars are a bit straight though, aren't they. I think part of the point of Dutch bikes is to have your wrists in a more natural position, and it's one of the problems I have with my straight-barred hybrid, I always feel I should have my thumbs pointing forward, if you know what I mean.
The angle of the photos is a little misleading, they're not as straight as a typical UK bike, e.g.
gazelle_orange_plus_innergy_xt_ebike.jpg

Struggling to find a decent photo, but you see what I mean?

OP
OP
LordGrover

LordGrover

Regular
My daughter has a Gazelle bike that we bought from Rob at Really Useful Bikes, just outside Bristol. But she doesn't use it that much, just for bimbling along. (I've mentioned him twice recently, I feel like I should be getting paid for this;), but he is really nice and one of the shops that we use).
Thank you. I've left a message and sent an email - it so happens I must pass them on my daily commute. ;)

Top Bottom