Dying pubs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Unfortunately while ethanol remains the only molecule that's legally allowed for its effect on the inhibitions, in many communities the most lively and viable meeting place is likely to be the boozer.

screenman

Legendary Member
This from a bloke that knows a bit about running pubs.

Wetherspoon yesterday reported a 10 per cent rise in annual revenues to £1.41 billion, while pre-tax profits increased by 3.1 per cent to £79.4 million. The pub group now makes 35.3 per cent of its sales from food, an area of growth that has been helped by the smoking ban, said Mr Hutson.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
A common question from ex-landlords is, we implemented the ban and readied ourselves for the hoards that smoking had kept away, where were they?
Certainly not a question posed by the two pub landlords I know, who both saw a significant increase in takings when the ban came into force, despite both of them predicting the opposite.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My local pub is convenient as it's only 5 minutes walk from home and it sells about 8 "real ales". Unfortunately the landlady is a nasty old bag who thinks that insulting customers is acceptable! She comments on how much customers spend and calls them for buying the "strongest beer",though she's quite willing to sell it in the first place!:thumbsdown:

Adam4868

Guru
Weatherspoons to me isn't a lot different from anything else in this country Tesco,Mcwhatever,Subway i personally try my best and avoid any of these types of "Big Buisness" I try and use local wherever i can

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3278915, member: 259"]Jesus, I was once persuaded to eat at a Weatherspoons on its 'curry' night. If that's the kind of crap they're selling, I'm not surprised they're making a tidy profit on food. Their markups must be astronomical and I suppose it's all produced in a central factory and vacuum packed.[/QUOTE]

I am sure you are right, but so is a lot of over priced pap.

Top Bottom