e-cigarettes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pplpilot

Guru
Not against it, rather that than vile fag smoke. I do find it puzzling though that people need this kind of crutch to get through the day and I always think that they may as well put nipples on them!

Suppose I don't understand as I've never smoked and I don't really have an addictive nature. If they help people drop smoking then it cant be a bad thing.

If the issue is with the nicotine, what if he is using a nicotine free liquid?

The biggest risk with vaping in my opinion is that there is no regulation. I'm sure some liquids are quite safe, and far less harmful than stuff we willingly expose our self to daily. Yet, there will be others with some nasty chemicals in, either as flavourings, or colourings, etc. Without regulation on them there's no way of knowing for sure, what you're putting in your body.

JMAG

Über Member
Its a means of prolonging the addiction while being able to pat themselves in the back and delude themselves as to how good they are.

For me it's simply a healthier choice just like doing a bit of exercise or eating more healthily. No delusion going on or pat on the back sought nor required :smile:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Cocktail of chemicals from vaping starting to worry my medical colleagues, plus bigger exposure to bystanders.

Send them to the bottom of the garden.....

A lot of pharmacists I work with hate e-cigs, really, really anti them. These views seem to be a mixture of opinions from promoting healthy living, to they think in some people it encourages them to intake nicotine far more times throughout the day than someone seriously trying to quit through to being more dangerous than current views seem to be.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I don't even smoke in my own house, I have a rear porch which is my smoking room. I smoke in my car but I wouldn't dream of lighting up in someone elses and TBH I hate other people smoking in my car too, strange as it may seem.

I smoke because I enjoy it and if I did go over to vaping the same rules would apply. I am considering it, but only because the real thing is getting so damned expensive. Can any vapers tell me if it gives the same satisfaction? I tried when they first came out and they were a poor substitute.

why do people presume all e liquid contains nicotine.... not all do.

contadino

Veteran
I quit smoking 2 years ago thanks to e-cigs. I'd rather accept the negligible risk of passive vaping and the real chance of your S-i-L quitting the tobacco than getting in a huff.

tyred

Legendary Member
I smoke because I enjoy it and if I did go over to vaping the same rules would apply. I am considering it, but only because the real thing is getting so damned expensive. Can any vapers tell me if it gives the same satisfaction? I tried when they first came out and they were a poor substitute.

I think it depends on what you are using. The ones that look like fags are almost universally agreed to be a waste of time and money.

Starter kits usually consist of what is known as a CE4 and an Ego battery, which is basic but functional and it was enough to get me of the fags. I think the kit cost about £25 from a stall in a shopping centre and came with a 30ml bottle of 24mg liquid. I would however recommend paying a little bit extra to at least an Ego twist battery which allows variable voltage so you can tweak the hit a little and some of the more modern clearomisers (or whatever they're called) such as the Protank Mini 3 which I now use or the various variations of the Aspire BDC have good reviews too. There is new and better stuff coming on to the market all the time so just read some reviews before buying anything. The Ego twist batteries will work fine but I now have an iStick 30 which is slightly bigger and heavier but has much longer battery life, charges faster and gives much more control.

Just call at one of the shops or shopping centre stalls that seem to have sprung up everywhere overnight and ask to sample some gear. They will all probably offer the CE-4 and Ego starter kit. It does work fine but the trouble with the CE-4 is it tends to leak and it is a throwaway item whereas things like the Protank 3 have replaceable coils which works out a lot cheaper in the long term. But trying one of those kits will at least let you know if it might be of benefit to you.

When I smoked, I was certainly no athlete but would have considered myself reasonably fit and had no obvious breathing problems. On hindsight I was a gasping wheezing wreck, I just thought that was normal and feel so much better now it's unbelieveable.

EDIT: It will never feel quite the same as smoking, it will relieve the craving for nicotine but there are many other addictive chemicals in fags too but for me at least it ticked the right boxes by relieving the nicotine craving, giving me something to do with my hands and giving the sensation of smoking. You will also feel worse for a few days while your lungs clear but after that you are on the crest of a wave.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The sad thing is that he gave up smoking 10 years ago and now he started on e-fags because of stress and he is never off the bloody thing! His wife also started on it after 10 years! Really can't understand it to be honest. I have 2 brothers who used to smoke, until one day they decided to.stop. they finished their last packet and never touched one since. That was 20 years ago. I think it is all about will power and clearly some people don't seem to have any.

Top Bottom