Early Hours Cycling for the First Time!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

I was hoping I could get some advice from some more experienced cyclists! I've recently secured work in a nice bar which is great, however I live 8 miles away from it which means I have no choice other than to get the train there and then cycle back when I finish at 2/3am as I don't drive. I've never cycled at night before - I have lights and a high vis jacket - and I'm not worried so much about the cycling itself (even though I'll probably pass out from exhaustion when I get home!), more so about running into some unwanted trouble on the way home. It's Halloween night as well!

The route is simple enough, it's just one big road that I go straight down for 8 miles until I get back to the city centre and the route is fine until the end where I have to go through a not so favourable housing area. Any tips?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hi all,

I was hoping I could get some advice from some more experienced cyclists! I've recently secured work in a nice bar which is great, however I live 8 miles away from it which means I have no choice other than to get the train there and then cycle back when I finish at 2/3am as I don't drive. I've never cycled at night before - I have lights and a high vis jacket - and I'm not worried so much about the cycling itself (even though I'll probably pass out from exhaustion when I get home!), more so about running into some unwanted trouble on the way home. It's Halloween night as well!

The route is simple enough, it's just one big road that I go straight down for 8 miles until I get back to the city centre and the route is fine until the end where I have to go through a not so favourable housing area. Any tips?

Hi Luke, and welcome to cyclechat
I can't help you much, but there are lots of communters on here who probably can. However a bit more detail about which city, route an dodgy housing estate would probable help you get better advice!
Cheers
Spinney

OP
OP
L

Luke_James

Hi Luke, and welcome to cyclechat
I can't help you much, but there are lots of communters on here who probably can. However a bit more detail about which city, route an dodgy housing estate would probable help you get better advice!
Cheers
Spinney

Hi! Thank you!

I'm cycling to Preston from Kirkham, I don't go directly through the estate I go around the outside however the roads narrow toward it and going through it which would make it easier for someone to try and block my way

Welcome to CC - there are loads of helpful and knowledgeable people here.
As for the ride home - enjoy it!! Riding at 2.00 - 3.00 is a great time of day; much less traffic, sounds of the night etc. (Although I must admit it is more fun april to october than the rest of the year.)
Good lights are imperative. Get some to see by, not just be seen. Hi viz is no use in the dark, reflective material is much better.
I do not know your area at all. Can you take a different route to avoid the estate, at least until you feel more comfortable?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Without knowing your route and whether people are still about its hard to say but i do sometimes ride home at 3 am after early friday night shift and apart from a couple of taxis theres nothing about around here as everyone else is already passed out at home .

hoopdriver

Guru
Roads are quiet in those hours. I often go out for a ride around 4:30am and on weekend mornings you do get the odd drunken lout in certain parts of town. In those areas I move briskly - a less inviting target to try to tackle - look confident and ride towards the centre of the road, away from footpaths or shadows.

OP
OP
L

Luke_James

Thanks for the replies everyone, I guess I'm just a bit of an irrational worrier! I could take a route to avoid the estate but it would double up the journey time and at the end of a long shift that's not ideal :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As it happens im in the car tonight, kids staying at grandmas as swmbo is at work in morning so saves me having to get up after about 2 hours sleep so they are having a sleepover.

J.Primus

Thanks for the replies everyone, I guess I'm just a bit of an irrational worrier! I could take a route to avoid the estate but it would double up the journey time and at the end of a long shift that's not ideal :smile:

Which estate is it? I don't live there now but I used to cycle Lytham to Kirkham a lot and I've been up towards Preston quite a bit.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Welcome Luke1
I too work catering shifts, cycled home (outskirts) from town at 3am many times.
It's the best time to cycle: no people about, hardly any cars.
Be alert to drunk drivers, encountered a couple over the years, fortunately managed to take evasive action.

OP
OP
L

Luke_James

Which estate is it? I don't live there now but I used to cycle Lytham to Kirkham a lot and I've been up towards Preston quite a bit.
It's not an estate per se, I go straight down Kirkham Bypass then onto Blackpool Road which cuts past the mill and the studenty housing area which isn't the nicest of places! It was fine last night though, very quiet.

Mr Foldy

At the times you are cycling hopefully its just drunks and opportunist chavs. You have the advantage of speed. Unless you know of cyclists being harassed there, you should be ok?

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi Luke, welcome - I love cycling in the dark, though I live in a rural spot and sometimes the woods are dark and spooky...!

One thing you will be finding is that riding 8 miles really wakes you up and you won't feel like sleeping when you get home - unless you are really, really knackered. You may have to factor this in a bit.

Anyway, good luck!

Top Bottom