Earthquake!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
With a magnitude of 2.6

"Nottinghamshire has been hit by an earthquake with a magnitude of 2.6, the British Geological Survey has confirmed.

The earthquake struck about 1km (0.6 miles) from Hucknall at 19:17 GMT, according to preliminary information.

People have reported hearing a loud bang and feeling sharp shaking.

Residents in Mansfield, Papplewick, Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Sutton-in-Ashfield, Ravenshead, Newstead Village and Blidworth all reported the quake."

Burnley Big Bang

S.Giles

I used to live in California and earthquakes were a regular occurrence. I would be jumpy for several weeks after a big one. The last earthquake I felt was in Doncaster a few years ago. It felt like the house was going to fall down!

Steve

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
A few in that area this year.
Second earthquake hits East Midlands 18 APRIL 2014, LEICESTER
Tremors 'like living above monster' 22 JANUARY 2014, NOTTINGHAM
Quake-hit town 'most active' in UK 21 JANUARY 2014, NOTTINGHAM
Town hit by 'month of earthquakes' 10 JANUARY 2014, NOTTINGHAM
Earthquake shakes East Midlands 18 JANUARY 2013, ENGLAND

S.Giles

When I was in LA an earthquake sheared off the bolt of my bedroom door one night so I was locked in. Luckily my room was on the ground floor and so I climbed out of the window and someone who had been asleep in the next room let me in through the front door.

I was also in LA for the 1994 Northridge earthquake (see image), though not in this particular building I'm glad to say.

1024px-Kaiser_Permanente_Building_After_Northridge_Earthquake.jpg

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
As the BGS point out (not desperately grammatically, though that might be the fault of a sleepy BBC journo:
"At the moment it's all indications it's a typical British earthquake that we see quite often throughout the year."

Top Bottom